• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

found some jeep axles

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
My last offroad mudding I didnt give my truck mercy. I went through want I could as fast as I could in 4LO. Had the front bouncing, mud flying, etc and still she is doing great and thats running the CV shafts too. Ya its an open diff. but she took what I could give her at the time.

As far as jumping my D30, forget that.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if the truck is being taken in the woods you should not have to worry about whether or not you will be making it home in one piece, thats a issue i would think anyone would agree with, now i dont know what everyone else here considers wheeling, but i do alot that doesnt involve bouncing off trees on 33's that would leave a dana 30 in a pile of jeep scrap, i can make my bronco2 on 33's go where the one ton trucks on 40s go without ****ing up my body, ground clearance is a wonderfull thing.

and im telling this to boggin, because he knows it in his head that there is no mercy in his heart for what he drives lol.
knowing your truck, knowing its a SOUND machine that will function perfectly even after repeated trips balls to the wall on the skinny pedal trying to take a bronco2 places it should not be. if your staying on the main trails with the mud that doesnt even come halfway up your tire or the or the small big rocks that dont come half way up the tire then a dana 30 will be fine, but if u actually want to be able to say LOOK i did that in MY truck, you build it so it doesnt break
for some it comes down to the fact they don't wanna tear up their trucks... my body is to straight and i have to much work into it just to go bash it up.

some people want an all around capable truck that they still dd on monday. usually when someone is just wanting to run 33's or so don't want to run the hardest trails anyways..

comes down to what the truck is being built for. is it built to run some basic trails? medium trails? or to run anything and everything on 1 tons and 40's

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
if the truck is being taken in the woods you should not have to worry about whether or not you will be making it home in one piece, thats a issue i would think anyone would agree with, now i dont know what everyone else here considers wheeling, but i do alot that doesnt involve bouncing off trees on 33's that would leave a dana 30 in a pile of jeep scrap, i can make my bronco2 on 33's go where the one ton trucks on 40s go without ****ing up my body, ground clearance is a wonderfull thing.

and im telling this to boggin, because he knows it in his head that there is no mercy in his heart for what he drives lol.
knowing your truck, knowing its a SOUND machine that will function perfectly even after repeated trips balls to the wall on the skinny pedal trying to take a bronco2 places it should not be. if your staying on the main trails with the mud that doesnt even come halfway up your tire or the or the small big rocks that dont come half way up the tire then a dana 30 will be fine, but if u actually want to be able to say LOOK i did that in MY truck, you build it so it doesnt break
thats true man and your right, i take no pitty on what i drive i push it to its limits lol but since ive been wheelin the b2 with 33s on the dana 28 for the last couple weeks, ive been kinda easy on the skinny pedal cause ive busted the dana 28 on 235s wayyyy to many times.
now when i had the 33s on the ranger with the d35 she was balls to the wall foot on the floor . which is how i wanna be in the b2 and i know the d30 is stronger than the d28 which is why i kinda wanted the swap, and because its a straight axle.
but i think now that im going to stick with the dana 35 ttb swap, i think im gonna buy back my old ranger for 80 bucks just for the axles and scrap the rest of her (or maybe a future 1 ton project lol)

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it all depends on how the person drives, if they are afraid of breaking the truck then they are easy on the pedal, or dont make it as far as someone who knows they can deliver a full on whooping to there truck without mercy and she will come back for more, THAT is the deciding factor, wether or not the balls have dropped yet, or if the girlfriend keeps them in there pocket lol all in good fun
Exactly, depends on the driver. I drive on the easier side until I need to get on it a little. The guys that just point it in a general direction and put it on the floor are the guys that break every single trip and ruin everybody else's trip.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
very true, petersens ultimate adventure before last, a guy wheeled a D30'ed cherokee on 35's or 37's through the entire trip and never broke anything.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Exactly, depends on the driver. I drive on the easier side until I need to get on it a little. The guys that just point it in a general direction and put it on the floor are the guys that break every single trip and ruin everybody else's trip.
not really no...the guy that ruins everyones trip are the jeep guys on big tires with stock rears, or atleast thats how it is in my area, i wheel with trucks that dont break, its all about setting up the truck properly, i can drive my truck every single day and wheel all weekend balls to the wall and not have to worry because i did it right the first time

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Balls to the wall only proves that physics works. I had a 98 Cherokee, d30f, d35r and I ran it on 35's down rubicon with ARB locker three times. Had to winch a few times but broke nothing.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Balls to the wall only proves that physics works. I had a 98 Cherokee, d30f, d35r and I ran it on 35's down rubicon with ARB locker three times. Had to winch a few times but broke nothing.
some people claim they hold like your case, but my experience tells me otherwise, the wrangler axle swap is so common anymore because strength of the axles are a issue

they all seem to want atleast a 44 front and rear

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
some people claim they hold like your case, but my experience tells me otherwise, the wrangler axle swap is so common anymore because strength of the axles are a issue

they all seem to want atleast a 44 front and rear
I am saying it's all style. If you use the throttle to get out of trouble alot, you break shit. I simply crawled through it, and if I still didn't make it, I'd winch. The throttle magnifies that slight driveline lash and pounds crap. hitting the skinny pedal hard doesn't impress me. With enough speed I could launch a smart car over Helicopter pass.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am saying it's all style. If you use the throttle to get out of trouble alot, you break shit. I simply crawled through it, and if I still didn't make it, I'd winch. The throttle magnifies that slight driveline lash and pounds crap. hitting the skinny pedal hard doesn't impress me. With enough speed I could launch a smart car over Helicopter pass.
u need to hit the skinny if your in mud deeper then your tires and its not hard bottom, if u dont use the skinny pedal very often your takin the easiest course

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not really no...the guy that ruins everyones trip are the jeep guys on big tires with stock rears, or atleast thats how it is in my area, i wheel with trucks that dont break, its all about setting up the truck properly, i can drive my truck every single day and wheel all weekend balls to the wall and not have to worry because i did it right the first time
if everybody could afford to do it with 1 tons or rockwells the first time around there probably woulndt be much need for this site. everybody has to start somewhere. and back to my original statement a d-30 can handle a 35" tire without problems.

and yes the people that run around in a jeep with a dana 35 rear with too much tire and hogging the shit out of it, yes they can ruin the day also but again as said it can take it depending on how you drive and where your at.

ive managed to run my d-35 and 8.8 on 36's and be pretty hard on it at times and never as so much broke a hub or had a problem. why? because i know the truck and i know how to drive it. dont run a d-30 and drive it like its on rocks and expect it to live long.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
yeah for now ill probably just swap in the d35 ttb, easier, quicker, stronger. makes sense to me. i do like the idea of straight axle though but maybe someday when i get enough founds to build my 79 hp d44.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Man wish I lived closer, I would take the axle shafts out if the d30 so that I can have spares.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I havent seen a d30 stock with 3.73 gears yet, not saying they dont exist. I had to put 3.73's in mine and I was good to go.

My axle is an 85 and doesnt have the CAD on it. Plus it came with the tubes welded to the diff. all the way around.
You can sometimes get lucky and find a 4 cyclinder xj that has 4.10's. But most are 3.55's. That poses the problem of the carrier break. It breaks at 3.73's...
The 3.73's are found mostly on low pinion D30's. They are usually under a Grand Cherokee.

All 4 cyl Wranglers have the 4.10 gear, And a High Pinion D30.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its only going to end up on one tons or rockwells if you have no knowledge of how to build the truck right the first time to begin with, anyone can build it so they dont break it if they buy the heavy heavy duty shit, but anything under 38s and axles like that are a waste of time,

my point is, if it was in the same truck, your truck, a dana 30 would not have survived with what u have done to the 35, true or false

if everybody could afford to do it with 1 tons or rockwells the first time around there probably woulndt be much need for this site. everybody has to start somewhere. and back to my original statement a d-30 can handle a 35" tire without problems.

and yes the people that run around in a jeep with a dana 35 rear with too much tire and hogging the shit out of it, yes they can ruin the day also but again as said it can take it depending on how you drive and where your at.

ive managed to run my d-35 and 8.8 on 36's and be pretty hard on it at times and never as so much broke a hub or had a problem. why? because i know the truck and i know how to drive it. dont run a d-30 and drive it like its on rocks and expect it to live long.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals