• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'88 BII 2.9 codes

DFWBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi all,, my BII died on me, after shopping at Sears. Came out and it wouldn't start again, checked all sensors, good battery, wiring, had full tank petro, been running just fine,, wasn't a hot day like its been here in Texas lately. had it towed to Firestone tire/garage. It started right up when they looked at it next morning. they fiddled with it for 5 hrs and couldn't duplicate the trouble. and evidently put a code reader on it, which I didn't know til later. tech called me of this. anyways, he got a code 17-ISC RPM too low, 96-fuel pump circuit open to ECM, 41-EGO(O2sensor) not switching, 87-primary fuel pump circuit fault. my Haynes book doesn't show a code 17 but he wrote on the w.o. 17--ISC RPM too low. what does this code 17 refer to?? Ive never heard of it myself :dunno:and I don't know what make scanner/analyzer he used. Anyway,,it runs good now and hasn't died or stalled on me. Anyone here know what this code 17 refers to?? thanks for your help. stay cool:icon_cheers:

RyanL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
According to this, it sounds like the throttle body adjuster screw is set too low but that should only apply to 2.5L and 1.9L models. I don't know if it's even related to your no-start condition though. It sounds like you may have a bad fuel pump relay or something. Did you hear the fuel pump start up when you turned the key to "on" when it didn't start the other day?

Last edited:

DFWBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
'88 BII codes

According to this, it sounds like the throttle body adjuster screw is set too low but that should only apply to 2.5L and 1.9L models. I don't know if it's even related to your no-start condition though. It sounds like you may have a bad fuel pump relay or something. Did you hear the fuel pump start up when you turned the key to "on" when it didn't start the other day?
Ryan,, okay thanks for info. I assume he set the rpms at specs. I didnt notice if fuel pump was running or not when it wouldn't start. maybe theres a short in the f pump wiring that caused this. I'll check the wiring tonight when it cooler her in N.Texas,, 95 already. thanks again,, keep em rolling,,,Larry:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals