• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988: Swap 2.9L for 1990 4.0L

WhiteBread16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

Well I'm new to the Ranger Station and all and I'm pretty sure I made it to the right place about an engine swap. Anyway to the specifics, I'm thinking about swapping in a 4.0L V6 from an Automatic 1990 Ford Ranger. My current vehicle is a 1988 Ford Ranger, Manual, 2WD, 2.9L V6. I have done some investigating and information collecting enough to know that you want to swap from a Ranger earlier than '94. So far from what I have read, these are the following things I'll need to preform that swap;

4.0L V6 Engine (1990 Donor Ranger)
All Wiring Harnesses (100%, no cuts or splicing)
Dash/Instrument Cluster from donor vehicle (1990 Ford Ranger)
Computer from Manual 4.0L V6 (1990)
*Possibly a new front axle (D35) to replace the D28*

If there is anything that I might be missing, just let me know and if you have done this or any type of engine swap, I would greatly appreciate any advice. :)

Also I know that they do recommend swapping out the manual transmission because the 2.9L trans won't hold up to the power of the 4.0L, and I have seen that you want to get a M5OD trans. Well since the donor is an Auto, I don't really have much choice. BUT it turns out my '88 Ranger has the Mazda M5OD-R1 trans in it, and I was just wondering if anyone would know if that means that I can keep my current transmission and just swap in the engine???:huh:

I did see that the 4.0L version of that trans has different gear ratios, and i'm also wondering if the input shaft would only reach the flywheel in my Ranger, or if it will go into the crankshaft? If anyone can offer any insight on this, please let me know ASAP :) Thanks​

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
If you're sure you have the unicorn, it will probably hold up. Does the '88 trans have a removable pan? If so, you've got an FM146 or something else besides an M5OD.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Hello,
Well I'm new to the Ranger Station and all and I'm pretty sure I made it to the right place about an engine swap. Anyway to the specifics, I'm thinking about swapping in a 4.0L V6 from an Automatic 1990 Ford Ranger. My current vehicle is a 1988 Ford Ranger, Manual, 2WD, 2.9L V6. I have done some investigating and information collecting enough to know that you want to swap from a Ranger earlier than '94. So far from what I have read, these are the following things I'll need to preform that swap;

4.0L V6 Engine (1990 Donor Ranger)
All Wiring Harnesses (100%, no cuts or splicing)
Dash/Instrument Cluster from donor vehicle (1990 Ford Ranger)
Computer from Manual 4.0L V6 (1990)
*Possibly a new front axle (D35) to replace the D28*

If there is anything that I might be missing, just let me know and if you have done this or any type of engine swap, I would greatly appreciate any advice. :)

Also I know that they do recommend swapping out the manual transmission because the 2.9L trans won't hold up to the power of the 4.0L, and I have seen that you want to get a M5OD trans. Well since the donor is an Auto, I don't really have much choice. BUT it turns out my '88 Ranger has the Mazda M5OD-R1 trans in it, and I was just wondering if anyone would know if that means that I can keep my current transmission and just swap in the engine???:huh:

I did see that the 4.0L version of that trans has different gear ratios, and i'm also wondering if the input shaft would only reach the flywheel in my Ranger, or if it will go into the crankshaft? If anyone can offer any insight on this, please let me know ASAP :) Thanks​
are you sure you have a Mazda M5OD-R1? there not common behind 2.9L.
and you know you done have to do a dash swap if you don't want too.

WhiteBread16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so I'm POSITIVE that my ranger has the M5OD-R1 trans. Key #1, the sticker on the inside door panel says a Transmission code of "M" (I know the trans coulda been swapped but it's original because...) Key #2, the trans code on the side is E87A-NF, that's the code for an M5R1, which from what I've read in forums, is the same thing as the M5OD, they're just called differently by different people. But here is where I found a list on how to tell my trans code, and how I got to the M5R1 http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission/what_ford_manual_transmission_is_in_my_vehicle.html

But other than that, yes I do understand the dash swap and all as well. I guess the only other thing that I just want to really know is if this trans will hold up, even if it does for a little while. And any other things i may need for the swap... thanks guys...

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
find out anymore?

Im planning on doing same thing 90 auto into 89 manual im kinna n a grey area also il b watchn your thread, My trans code is m also.:)

Last edited:

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Success!

Done and love it!

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did the same. I'm rockin the stock FM-146.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
I Know

:dunno: He keeps sayn ez gonna stop by?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals