• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4-cylinder MPG question

fhrblig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've noticed something since I bought my Ranger a couple years ago. I seem to be getting way more mpg than others with the same vehicles. My average from the time I bought it thru last December is 29.4. I've gotten it as high as 33.4, but usually fall between 29-31. When I talk to other 4-cyl Ranger and B-series owners, they tell me low 20's. Then they call me a liar. Except that I'm not; I've documented it here.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/fhrblig/ranger

One thing that probably affects my mileage the most is my shifting patterns. I shift a lot. I get into the highest gear I can without lugging the engine as soon as possible, then downshift as soon as I need power. I've always driven that way and I don't go through clutches, transmissions, or engines or anything. Also, I'm not a leadfoot. I mean, I'm not afraid of flooring it when needed, but I'm not a stoplight racer either.

So do any of you guys touch 30 regularly? I haven't seen many that weren't euro-diesel Rangers.

L454S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mpg

If I do highway miles only, I can get 30+, but most all my fill ups include some suburb driving. I do tow my boat long distance(100+ miles one way) and get 24-25 towing. I post some on fuelly.com also.

On one tank, I saw 33. This was 55-60MPH open road, but that kind of driving is very rare down here, most all HIGHWAY miles are 70 MPH.

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've noticed something since I bought my Ranger a couple years ago. I seem to be getting way more mpg than others with the same vehicles. My average from the time I bought it thru last December is 29.4. I've gotten it as high as 33.4, but usually fall between 29-31. When I talk to other 4-cyl Ranger and B-series owners, they tell me low 20's. Then they call me a liar. Except that I'm not; I've documented it here.

One thing that probably affects my mileage the most is my shifting patterns. I shift a lot. I get into the highest gear I can without lugging the engine as soon as possible, then downshift as soon as I need power. I've always driven that way and I don't go through clutches, transmissions, or engines or anything. Also, I'm not a leadfoot. I mean, I'm not afraid of flooring it when needed, but I'm not a stoplight racer either.

So do any of you guys touch 30 regularly? I haven't seen many that weren't euro-diesel Rangers.
It's common to get over 30 mpg with the newer 2.3's. The 2.5's usually got around 21 -25. I could get as high as 27-29mpg with my 2.5.

Moreflying

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I get 26 mpg out of my 1994 2.3 on the hwy. Around town 22-23 or pushing it on the hwy.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i usta get 25-28 mpg in my v6 altima with a lead foot. long as it was a mix of highway and city. if all city, like 16-21. photos of my mpg meter reading 45 doesnt mean crap as i was coasting down a like 4 mile hill lol

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

I believe nothing I hear on the internet as far as fuel economy goes.....mostly exaggerations, poor math skills, or just trolling.. Most people with regular cab 4 bangers get 26-27 mpg and supercab 4 bangers get 23-25 mpg overall. 33.4 mpg.........:rolleyes:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

I guess it is possible on the newer duratecs.......anyone that says they get 30+ on a truck like mine either: has a bad odo, poor math skills or is lying

Last edited:

fhrblig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
33.4 mpg.........:rolleyes:
Oh, that was definitely an aberration. I don't know how the hell that happened, because I sure don't remember coasting down the mountain on I-70 with the engine shut off.

If you look at the fuel up after that one, it dropped to 29.1. That usually happens after a big mpg number, I've noticed. If you add those 2 fuel ups together and divide by 2, it's just over 31, which has happened way more. It definitely helps that my 40+ mile commute is 90% highway during the times of the day when there are no traffic jams. :icon_thumby:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I ordered my Torando last week.......I hoping to reach the 40mpg mark!!!!!:headbang:

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I ordered my Torando last week.......I hoping to reach the 40mpg mark!!!!!:headbang:

You must mean the Tornado that spins the air before hitting the intake.......I put one in my work van E350 5.4/auto and the mileage went from 11 to 31 mpg.
Of course I was using a calculator endorsed by our lawmakers in Washington.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I guess it is possible on the newer duratecs.......anyone that says they get 30+ on a truck like mine either: has a bad odo, poor math skills or is lying

If I could be assured 30 mpg "Overall", I would buy a regular cab 2.3/5 spd and trade in my 2010 2.3/auto supercab that has only been getting 23 overall!!!!!!
I was at the dealer having a sticking throttle fixed 3 weeks ago and I asked the service manager what fuel mileage do most people get with their Ranger 4 bangers.......he said most 09-11s are getting 27 overall with reg cabs(manual) and 24-25 with the supercab(manual).
He also said that the EPA changed their rating methods to be realistic instead of ideal conditions. To get more than the EPA ratings is pretty rare, but can and does happen.
Your 2.5 is a bullet proof piece and I imagine you are in the 24-25 mpg area.
The Ford 2.3/2.5, 4.9 straight 6 are just as tough as the Chrysler 225 slant 6.

Citoriplus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratech
Transmission
Manual

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
With his driving style I believe it. The DOHC 2.3s are great. I've seen 28 in my 92, never 30 and around town is 21-23. My wife complains about my "old man" driving style. My rear end is the 3.45:1 gear.

Polk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I got an average of 25.6mpg, measured over 10,000+ miles in my 2009 2.3L standard cab with a 5-speed and a cap, mostly highway miles at ~70mph average.

I recently lowered it about 1.5" and set the toe at 0. Surprisingly, the toe measured 1/8" toe out (that is not a typo) before lowering. There was no unusual tire wear or poor tracking, so I was surprised to find that alignment. It still tracks fine with the toe set at 0. The first four tanks of gas after lowering and aligning have averaged 28.6mpg! I attribute about half of the improvement to the lowering and half to the alignment change. So even if you don't want to lower, try setting the toe at 0 and you might pick up 1-2mpg.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals