• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

VW Passats, anything to look out for? Common failures?

RaginRanger

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a '91 passat, it's a high mileage unit, 5spd with a 2.0 gas I believe, anyone know of anything I should watch out for, or any gremlins that I should avoid (by not buying the car) or are they generally reliable?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
real reliable. My 95 Jetta has 222,010 miles on it. it wont start now but I'll figure it out soon. Every sensor on these cotton pickers is expensive, even used. But they are basically trouble free. If it dies, good luck getting it running again, they are a wiring nightmare and it is a very complex car. Makes a ranger look simple by comparison.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
My gf has been driving an 02 Passat 1.8L Turbo, and it's a piece of work. She hydrolocked the engine about 4 months ago in Houston, and after 3 oil changes, its right back to normal. It gives a "ding" reminder about everything including seat belts, open doors, keys in ignition without he car engine on, seat belt for a weighted passengers seat (I hate), lights, hazards, and the ebrake on with engine on.

It really irritating with that many things beeping at you. My friend had a 97 Jetta , and they are just well-made cars. I can think of anything to look out for on buying a used VW...

Just typical "what out for" symptoms....

G'luck!

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i dunno if the gas engines do, but if its got a timing belt do it as soon as you buy it cause theres no knowing the last time it was done.

i have done tones on the diesels, and ive done one that broke, $200 for one that hasn't broke compare to over $2000 for one that had broke. other then that great cars besides the size, im not a fan of small cars

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the 2L 16v's are pretty decent motors, they are interference motors, so as someone else stated, replace the t-belt if it hasnt been done within the past 60k or so..

you can grab engine parts from 90.5-92 Jetta GLI's (all 2.0 16v) and the same years for 16v GTI's.. (the earlier models had 16v's but they were 1.8Ls)..

otherwise i dont know much about them problem wise, but check out http://forums.vwvortex.com for VW info.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My nieghbor bought a new Jetta, or passat don't know which (4 door wagon) it has the diesel in it, She likes the diesel I think.

The only problem I know of that it has is the leaking sun roof, She has to put a tarp or peice of plastic over he car when it rians becuse of it. My parents went and looked at new Jettas or Passats (don't remember which), they didn't really like them for various reasons. They ended up buying a Mazda 3, so far my mom loves it. I know you are looking at a 91' so those things may not really apply.

I have always thought that WV's were a high mantiance car, and expensive to keep up and running too.

Just my opinion.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
At the shop I work at, our salesmen sell pretty much all used Audi's and VW's, so I've worked on many of them.

I personally can't stand them, however, I've heard the older ones like your year are much better and easier. The ones I work on (98+) require you to take the front of the car off to do a timing belt, just like an Audi. Hopefully yours isn't like that. Stupid design on their part. Same thing to do a radiator.

The wiring is a nightmare and CHEAP. Very unreliable. Watch for rust on the rear panels. Oh, and everything is held on by torx and hex bolts. So make sure you have a good set if you plan on working on yours.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Just thought of something. Every time I sell a VW I am always asked for pictures of the strut towers from the top and the bottom ..... apparently rusted strut towers are hard to fix. check em for rust. if they are rusted (more than surface rust) stay away from it.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
In the garage I work in, everyone, including me, cringe at the thought of having to work on them, they parts are expencive, and (some) things require special tools that you can't get around wouthout. It seems like there is a lot of backwords engineering. In my opinion on Volkswagon, Porsche, Skoda and Seat (2 I have yet to work on and am thanking God for), the problems start at the headlights and work their way back to the tail lights, and the problems seem to be solved quite well by a very nice work of art machine, also known as a crusher.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
OK, My jetta ran trouble free for 192,000. the last 30,000 it has had bad sensors and a bad oil pump but it was still going strong until the fuel system quit working.

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I personally can't stand them, however, I've heard the older ones like your year are much better and easier. The ones I work on (98+) require you to take the front of the car off to do a timing belt, just like an Audi. Hopefully yours isn't like that. Stupid design on their part. Same thing to do a radiator.
[/QUOTE

you must be thinking of the 04+ passat... on the others its just the motor mount, the pluming for the turbo, the coolant resevoir, the p/s resevoir, and the covers and pass side tire takes an hour to do on the hoist.

on the passats they have the engine mouted the wrong way like an intrepid. and its pretty close to the rad, ive never done 1 but it looks bad.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
[/QUOTE

you must be thinking of the 04+ passat... on the others its just the motor mount, the pluming for the turbo, the coolant resevoir, the p/s resevoir, and the covers and pass side tire takes an hour to do on the hoist.

on the passats they have the engine mouted the wrong way like an intrepid. and its pretty close to the rad, ive never done 1 but it looks bad.
Nope, have to remove the front cover for the timing belt. 1.8Ts are the same as in an Audi, and both cars require the removal of the front of the car to access the timing cover and belt. I've done countless VWs and Audis, trust me, the newer ones require you to. I can get the shop manual if you'd like.

RaginRanger

Reaction score
thanks for all the feedback guys, looks like I'm gonna have a good close look at this thing,

littledubber92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i'm a long time vw owner, i know these cars pretty well.

the things to look out for on a 2L 16v 91 Passat would be..
check the timing belt, if it snaps on you, it will bend the valves in your engine, also they hate any oil filter that doesn't have the valve, watch for lifter tick, it's pretty common, knock sensors go bad sometimes, those passats have a differenty style transmission than the other VW's, so you can only use cable shift transmissions. the 16v, also has 10.1 brakes, which means, you can only fit 14" wheels on it at the smallest.

they are good cars tho, i've owned 5 of the 85-92 Body Style Jetta's, 1 95 Jetta, and a pair of Scirocco's.

prevenative maintnence is key with these vehicles.

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking into buying a '91 passat, it's a high mileage unit, 5spd with a 2.0 gas I believe, anyone know of anything I should watch out for, or any gremlins that I should avoid (by not buying the car) or are they generally reliable?
Hey Ragin! haven't talked to you in awhile man! You looking to pick up something so you don't got to DD the 86 anymore?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals