• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow hitches

TheDanger2801

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am just wondering what year and model hitch receivers will fit on my 98 ext cab. i want to just pull one out of a junk yard and use that rather than spend the $100+ on a new receiver. I saw a hitch on an older explorer but i don't think it would have fit. Thanks.

95XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3L Diesel
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know if any truck parts sites do this, but dennis kirk, if you look up a part for a specific snowmobile, they have a list of every other snowmobile that it will fit.

If you could find a site like that, it could tell you all the other vehicles the same hitch will mount to.

Also, around my house, all the u-pull junkyards have software that can cross reference any part, so tell them what part your looking for, and they can give you a print out of all the vehicles you can find the same part on. So that route might work for you as well.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
I just went through this in November, I ened up getting a hitch off a '94 and it fit right on my truck. any 83 - 08 Ranger hitch should fit, dunno if a flarside hitch will fit though. Just goto the Reese or hidden hitch webiste and check there part #'s

TheDanger2801

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
did they bolt right on or did u have to drill new holes in the frame? also do you know if explorer hitches will fit?

95XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3L Diesel
Transmission
Automatic
I think it depends on your truck. If it had a towing package at one time the holes should be there. If not, your probably going to have to drill.

I know when I installed my reese receiver I had to drill one hole on each side, the rest were already there.

Early Explorer's would probably fit, but I'm not an expert. As Southern3.0 suggested, go to Reese's website and compare part numbers.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am pretty sure an explorer fram is to wide. I know my brothers 98 explorer hitch is way wider than my hitch. I got mine from a gen 1 or gen 2 ranger out of a pick n pull for $25

Snurfer

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the explorer hitch wont fit on the ranger frame. the explorer frame is wider in the rear than the ranger.

TheDanger2801

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks a bunch. i went to both junk yards today and found nothing that would fit the range. ill be looking again soon

Barney0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Just spend the money and buy a new one. You will be happier in the long run. You get to pick exactly what you want without the worry of getting a damaged or abused reciever

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals