• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer Correction?

Wes

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've put some 33's on my truck the other day and would like to correct my speedometer. In the tech pages I found the article about replaing the speedometer cable gear at the transmission. Problem is, my transmission dosn't seem to have one.

Is this correct for my year/drivetrain?

If so, how do I correct the speedometer for my truck?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i *think* your truck has a vss, so you will need to reprogram the computer.

Wes

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How can I, or where can I have my computer reprogramed? Keep in mind I have a degree in math and comp. sci., so if it's something I can do without any expensive equipment I'm all for it.

Wes

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Here are the options I've found:

1. Local Ford dealer $50-60 (one time change)
2. Buy an NGS tool $2500 (unlimited comp. changes)
3. Find a bootleg copy of Hickok's PC based NGS and schematics on making a USB to Vehicle connector esitimated at $20-30 (unlimited comp. changes)

The later of course is illegal and finding someone with even a ligitimate copy seems like it would be a chore in itself. So it looks like my local Ford dealer is going to make some money off of me. I guess there's a first time for everything!

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Superlift and jet chips make speedometer correction programmers for electronic speedometers. They can be reprogrammed for different sized tires and gear ratios. I dont remember what years theyre made for....just check their websites.

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Correct - no gear swapping for speedo corrections in your pickup. If you don't plan on stepping to larger tires later, I wouldn't hesitate to have the dealership reflash it once and just be done with it.

If you do plan on changing tires later, many lift companies (like Yellowsplash mentioned) sell the programmers that will adjust for tires changes. I would be very hesitant of the 'illegal' route you mentioned. Sounds like something you could really get into trouble with as far as ruining the computer entirely.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals