• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 fi conversion

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I am thinking about doing the conversion to fuel injection on my 1984 2.8 ranger. I still have one more year of the smog stuff. so my first question is will I still be able to pass emissions? Also does anyone have any pictures of before and after their conversion? I have already read the section on how to do it but I need to see what it should look like.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I still have one more year of the smog stuff. so my first question is will I still be able to pass emissions?
It would probably be best to ask the one doing the checking if it would still pass the visual part of it, every state probably is going to be different, and it could even vary station to station. I have never had to deal with it so I don't no how particular they are about it.

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what are some of the benefits of switching? what is the general gas mileage of FI 2.8's? what about power increases?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
The choke and wiring would be eliminated ecept what is needed which is not even half as much. Up to like 25 mpg's. Better acceleration and less lag.

also i am sure that putting on fi would greatly increase the emissions stuff and would pass with ease because it would burn more completely and have less un burned stuff.:icon_thumby:

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That makes sense. I have been doing more research into the 3.8 throttle body. It seems that it was only used in the years of 1984 to 1988 ford and mercury vehicles. would it matter what year i pulled the stuff from? If I pulled the throttle body from one car could I pull the harness and comp from another?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would think you could because they are all about the same. Mine is an 88 T Bird. But it is supposed to run on super premiumso i'm hoping it will work just cause the comp. ratio is lower. But yeah it should work cause it says you can use any of those years as long as the car is RWD.

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How difficult is it to remove the wiring harness through the firewall? Also, Is there a main wiring connector into the computer or is it built in?

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I pulled the 3.8 harness today as well as several sensors that i might need. Is it true that I could get away with using just one Fuel pump in the tank?

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

I would like more info on this also. My B2 runs ok. But like always I would like a little get up and go. Having better gas milage would be nice.

igiveup

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well I have hit a snag in my plans. I need to find out if i can run a high presseure fuel pump in my existing tank. maybe a sending unit as well. I guess that would all be one part. is there any differences between FI 2.9 tank and carbed 2.8 tank?

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is there any reason to why I would not be able to use a 4 liter sending unit?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals