• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ok gun nuts, share your opinions on sights!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
What kind of sight do you prefer (scope, open, red dot, laser, etc) and why?

Any preferred brand and why?

What type of mount (for scopes and red dots - tactical, fixed, etc and brand) and why?

What kind of gun (rifle, pistol, shotgun)?

What do you use it for (hunting, target shooting, etc)?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm starting to work a lil part-time with a small sporting goods shop - doing things like mounting scopes and minor gunsmithing. Getting some people looking to get a scope and mount and they're asking for opinions. I don't really have much of an idea of what to recommend, I've always used Redfield 1-piece bases and a scope with adjustable objective and 4-14x zoom when I've done things in the past. Very rare that I've used anything else and I usually wasn't happy with the results (like a 4x scope on a 12 gauge slug gun - a 2-6x might have been a lot nicer, and a standard 4x scope on a .22 - just mounted a 3-9x .22 mag scope on a rifle for a guy and it's sooo much nicer than those tiny scopes).

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Homeboy Night Sights.

Attachments

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It all depends on the weapon of choice.

1. Semi-Auto Pistol - Night iron sights

2. Revolver - iron sights

3. Bolt Action Rifle - 10x scope with lighted cross

4. Assault Rifle - Holographic or Red dot

5. Lever Action Rifle - Iron sights

6. Shotgun w/ Rifled Deer Barrel - 10x scope sighted in at 200 yards

7. Shotgun w/ Field barrel - iron sights

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just put some "TRU-GLO" on my glock. I didn't have night sites on it so I opted for them. I got them at Cheaper than Dirt.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Really depends on the work I'm looking for the weapon to do. I have a 45-70 that is a dedicated brush gun. I'm going to install fire sights for a quick, low light picture. Defensive shotgun, ghost rings with a tactical light. All my bolt guns are set up for long range and have a scope of some sort. I stick with mostly Leupold or Burris but I have a Tasco on my long range target rifle that gets the job done. I really like the Lupold double dovetail rings for the harder recoiling rifles but the Lupold quick detach rings are pretty nice as well, return to zero without adjustment and make maintainence much easier. Pistols... Depends. My carry guns all have tritium night sights. My target 22's have either iron sights or red dots. The red dots are bulky but I shoot much better with them and the sight picture is much better. I have one scoped pistol but it is a 7mm-08 so I'm not sure that counts! Assult rifles... I really like plain old peep sights. There is no battery to fail, no switches or buttons to push and they are adequate out to about 500m. I have never tried an ACOG, they seem pretty tough and are small/light enough not to be a burden. Anyway, you asked.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
lol, I'd love an ACOG, but my budget doesn't agree.

I always wondered how good those quick-detach mounts worked, guess that answers my question if you're happy with 'em.

One guy is looking to have something done to a Taurus Raging Bull in .44 mag, but he can't decide if he wants a scope or red dot and voiced the thought that it would be nice if he could have both and a mount that would let it swap out easy. I've been looking to see if there is something available that could be grafted onto his gun. Almost been inclined to suggest just sticking with a red dot but I dunno.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not to thread-jack, but I've got a sight question also. I've got an old .243 Remington with a Tasco scope and the sight is weird. It's one thin horizontal line and one thick vertical line that has a taper to a point on it's end just above the horizontal line (about 1/4 of the taper is above the horizontal line.) Where do you zero it?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Not to thread-jack, but I've got a sight question also. I've got an old .243 Remington with a Tasco scope and the sight is weird. It's one thin horizontal line and one thick vertical line that has a taper to a point on it's end just above the horizontal line (about 1/4 of the taper is above the horizontal line.) Where do you zero it?
I want to say that you zero it so it hits right at the point of the thick line. Should be anyway.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I prefer irons on everything, even bolt action rifles, simply for backup sights... For rifles like AR15's, I prefer a red dot also, bolt actions, a scope of some sort... For .22's, a scope is nice.

Either way, everything I own has, and everything I purchase in the future, will have iron sights on it.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
One guy is looking to have something done to a Taurus Raging Bull in .44 mag, but he can't decide if he wants a scope or red dot and voiced the thought that it would be nice if he could have both and a mount that would let it swap out easy. I've been looking to see if there is something available that could be grafted onto his gun. Almost been inclined to suggest just sticking with a red dot but I dunno.
I don't really like a scope on a pistol. Like I say, I have one but I just set it up that way because it is accurate out to a pretty good range and I though it would make a good sheep gun if I were so inclined. They are pretty finicky as far as eye relief and they are slow to get on target ar higher magnifications. If he is going to be doing any hunting with it. I'd stick with the red dot or holo sight. Isn't the Raging Bull set up for a scope? I'd be surprised if it weren't drilled for bases from the factory.

robertc1024, it is called a German reitcle. Looks like this:

Your point of aim should have the point of the post in the center of what you want to be your point of impact. Get the point? LOL!

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
For the ar's nothing beats an ACOG. I used em in Iraq, dropped my weapon, hit a few things with it. Mud durt, anything you can think of. Not only did the ACOG take the beating but it never lost zero.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nein CRB. It looks like this:

I realize that's a really crappy photo but anybody got one better from laying on their back in bed, trying to hold the scope at a light, AND taking a picture?

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Potato/Po-ta-to. Your point of aim is still the tip of the post. I'm guessing that is your 243?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals