• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I think I found an 88 STX Highrider?

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I think I just found an 88 ranger stx.It is a shortbed with regular cab.My question is did ford put a letter in the vin to verify this?The truck was tore apart to be modified but is still basically all there.Its been so long since I have seen an stx transfer case I forget whats different about them,plus it still has to be dug out so I can see it and the other identifying features if present are scattered around.I can basically get it for carrying it off and its rust free and shortbed so I think its worth saving.It does have bucket seats also but not sure if they were available in any of the other models other than the GT and stx.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does it have a block of steel ~1 1/4" between the rad arm mount and the frame that's riveted in place? If so, it's an stx. I think the difference on the t/c is that there is no slip joint, it's a slip in the front drive shaft instead.

Richard

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The front suspension was all tore apart to do whatever??I know about those blocks but all that was apart.If ford put a letter in the vin to ID an stx and I almost positive they would have then it would make it so much easier on this one to tell for sure.I did see a front stabilizer bar in the mix which I was thinking was stx specific but not sure on that one either.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know about vin #.
If by front stabilizer you mean sway bar [a.k.a. anti-sway bar], it can be another indication afaik.

A comparison of front sway bars;

Left to right; '87 stx highrider 1.156" OD, '85 B-II .989" OD, '91 stx .901" OD
Measurements were taken where the rubber rides. Also notice the difference in the rubber mounts.

Richard

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes sway bar...Thats the word I was looking for.I knew stabilizer didnt sound right.Thanks for the pics.Its alot easier to ID with something to look at.

djt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just decoded my VIN on several sites and theres nothing specific on the trim or model package. It just had the normal info on motor, extended/regular cab, where it was manufactured, and the sequence number. I don't recall seeing specifics on VINs unless it was in a sub/special division like shelby or rousche.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
There is nothing in the VIN that I am aware of to identify a STX. All the stuff for the factory Highrider just identifies it as having the Highrider option not as a STX. About the only thing on an 88 STX that could not be ordered as an option on other Rangers were the side stripes and the STX emblems. The seats, bumpers and wheels were unique to STX in some model years but I don't know about 88. The manual transfer case was not only in the STX. I know that some STX modle years had blacked out trim but I don't know if that is true of all STX model years.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There won't be anything in the VIN to identify an options or trim package such as STX or Highrider.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Would it be on the build sheet underneath the carpet?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
On the build sheet there should be a notation about "package II"
but this may not be there.

The unique things about an STX High Rider versus a non-highrider
STX
are the factory LEVELING KIT (it isn't really a lift per-say because it only
affects the FRONT susp)

which involve unique axle pivot brackets, the more identifiable of which is the axle pivot bracket for the driver's side beam, which has a riveted on stiffener which bolts to the OUTSIDE of the passenger side frame rail and the "drop plates" and 1" thick blocks that are both riveted AND welded to the radius arm brackets.

The last feature is that on an 1988 (or late 1987) Highrider a "Front mount" (bronco2 style) stabilizer (anti-sway) bar is used.
This piece is approx 1-1/4" thick
and becuase of it's shorter torque arms is significantly stiffer than the early type "rear mount" sway bar that mounts inside the radius arms and radius arm brackets.

The Double cardan joint at the T-case end of the front driveshaft is NOT a difinitive identifier of an STX because this feature is a early-88 "Retrofit" (a "silent recall" service package) that was only attended to if the customer complained about vibration while running in 2wd with the front hubs engaged.

The retrofit was a replacement t-case and front driveshaft, but NONE of the 1987's got these unique parts in production, nor did the early 1988's as this part was a mid year introduction. most later 1988's and 1989's got these parts from the factory.

what about the 1990's you ask?
there are no 1990 Highriders.

AD

Last edited:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
give me your vin number

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals