• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cb antenna cable

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Can someone point me in the right direction for some instructions on splicing cb antenna cable? Mine came off the antenna on the trail and the plug got destroyed. And I decided to take this opportunity to move the antenna to the cage.

Thanks

Last edited:

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm planning on just getting another cable with an end already on it and splicing it to what is already in my truck. So would I just split the shield and the center conductor and splice them like standard wire(like they show for spade connectors above), and then heatshrink or tape over everything? sounds good.

Last edited:

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely don't use tape... the coax MUST be water proof, otherwise signal will definitely be affected...

I am not sure on the actual splicing methods... though I don't suggest splicing two wires together, I suggest just putting a new plug on the end...

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The problem is that I'm moving my antenna, and need more cable. So would you suggest replacing the plug on the end and then using a coupler to another cable to extend it to the new location? Or just replace the plug and get an extension cable?

Last edited:

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just get a whole new cable, your looking alot alot of wasted time trying to fix what you have

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The cable is run through a hole in the floor of the cab and is sealed with 5200, making it a little difficult to remove. I just picked up a length of cable, a coupler, and a new end for the old cable. I'm just going to start from the antenna end and work my way back to the radio, shortening the old cable as needed.

Also, will I need to run a ground to the frame from the base of the antenna since the cage was completely powdercoated before being bolted in?

Jay'94

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep, probably need a ground, and make sure you check the SWR on that antenna cable setup or you can make googoo of your radio. It also won't talk well and you won't hear well. I've got 18' and my SWR s barely ok. Going to go to a 12' and I should be good. Got too much cable don't coil it up nice an pretty just stuff it haphazard in a hole or under the carpet, when yu loop it up it interferes with signal and stuff.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
How do I check SWR? I measured it out today and while I probably will have about 11 ft of antenna cable, it will have no slack. Is this fine as long as the SWR is ok?

And do I just ground from the screw on mount that goes through the hole to somewhere on the frame?

FYI I run a 4ft fiberglass top loaded antenna(sticks about 2.25' over the top of the cab) when I'm on the highway and a 2 ft version of the same antenna when I'm intown(parking garages and stuff). This setup should be ok if the SWR is right, correct?

Last edited:

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Got it all put together today. just need to do a ground wire and check the SWR.

What do I need to get to check the SWR? can I pick it up at radio shack or something?

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You need a SWR meter... I think you can pick them up at the shack...

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there are also meters that have controls on them so you can adjust the swr at the meter. i have one of those and they work ok. you do have to leave it connected, but mine is very small and no problem for me. here is mine: http://www.walcottcb.com/para-dynamics-pdc5-swr-watt-and-matcher-p-1126.html?cPath=221_30
not fancy or anything, but gets the job done. and you can change antennas and just readjust it for the new antenna. just a thought.
btw, i got mine for less on ebay.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals