• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cb radio help

schneiderz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4 cylider
Transmission
Automatic
Hey i am looking to get a new cb for my 03 ranger xl what is the best one for me to get cause i was thinking of pulling out my ashtray and just putting it there?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Cobra 29 LTD or nightwatch..... I think a Cobra 25 might fit in your ashtray...
SVT

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What he said, You cn find alot of the cobra 29 classics on craigslist in any city also. Just dont buy the cobras from walmart or radio shack or any of them small 6x4x2 inch radios. they dont have the power output and arent worth peaking either. If you have a cb shop near a truck station by you that would be agood starting point.

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My wife's son (he's 38 so I don't call him my stepson LOL) is a truck driver. He recommended the Cobra 29 with a Wilson 2000 antenna.

I got the Cobra 29 but was afraid the Wilson might not hold up off road so I picked up a fire stick. HERE are some pics of the install. It's perfect where I have it mounted, the guy who installed it put some crossing brackets on to keep it from bouncing around.

Oh, the 29 classic comes with built in calibration for easy tuning right there from the radio itself.

Last edited:

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
29 is the top dawg radio out there and it is a badass when modded. Unfortunately, the best location I found for one is either on truck's back-wall(but you can't hear it and you can't really do anything while driving) or on the roof. I'm talking of not only usability, but asthetically. It's a large radio and it takes a large space. Nothing against Scotty's set-up, but it looks....awkward and out of place.

Here's a pic of mine...

BUT...you don't have to have a big radio or even a 'badass' setup to be useful. A smaller setup I ran before I wanted to go bigger was a Cobra 19DX IV mounted simply on the stock ashtray...

BTW, Scotty....nice floormats!! I got the same exact ones but black. 5 years strong and they're still holdin' up! lol. Oh...and nice antenna bracket. lol.

schneiderz, I suggest you take a peek at the many multiple cb pic threads and see what you like. Like I said, you don't have to have a 'badass' radio to have fun. Antenna will make or break a system. Sh!tty antenna and 'badass' radio will not perform as well as a stock tiny radio(19DX) and a good antenna.

Last edited:

K.Strong

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
I've got some cheap Midland I picked up from work for $70. Works great for lack that I use it. Have my dual antennas on the truck and I can pick up from a few KM's away. Can't transmit far at all, but if I ever do transmit it's if I'm the the woods with some buddies.

Don't have any pictures of how I mounted the antennas right now. But I looked at a ton of pictures before deciding to mount my Radio here:

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Nothing against Scotty's set-up, but it looks....awkward and out of place.
No offense taken, hey how did you anchor yours overhead? I would have loved to do mine that way, but I couldn't figure out how to make it safe. Send me a PM if you don't mind.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No offense taken, hey how did you anchor yours overhead? I would have loved to do mine that way, but I couldn't figure out how to make it safe. Send me a PM if you don't mind.
10-4 good buddy.

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ranger truck ! Ranger radio !

The only radios I would consider are the Ranger 2950 or the 6900 (i have the 6900 with built in 150watt amp!:headbang:) these are 10 meter ham rigs that have been modified to operate on 11 meter (cb) (they call them "EXPORT RADIOS" wink wink) . now on the trail between rigs 4 watts will do the job fine but if you or your friend needs fire/med/police 35-150 watts will get some help.you can always turn down the power -you can buy a used 2950 for a little more than a new 29ltd that has been peaked and tuned but the ranger will always sound better and 35-50 watts is better than 12- 15 for the 29 -btw peaking and tuning is just as illegal as operating an EXPORT RADIO-:icon_confused:

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I mounted mine on the plastic piece that goes under the steering column. mount it as far to the passenger side as you can on that piece and it won't hit your knee. It was fairly easy to wire there. but its up to you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals