• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help lining cab to body on pass. side!

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm under my Ranger right now and I cannot figure out why the bed is sooooo much higher on the passenger side then the drivers side. The drivers side is almost perfect but the passengers side is about an inch higher.

I think my Ranger's been in a wreck before because there's body filler starting to show on the front drivers side fender from when it was repaired I guess.

I think I'm going to have to loosen up the body mounts and shim as necessary to bring everything back in line. Does this sound normal and is this what body shops do? Thanks.

Allen

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How are the measurements from the ground to the frame compared to the ground to the body? Adding shims to correct needs done sometimes, but only in small amounts. If I recall from the old forum, you ran your truck through a concrete channel and did some damage awhile back right? How were the body lines before that? You live in SoCal, so I doubt you have rust issues with the cab/body mounts, but I would check them to make sure they haven't been damaged/collapsed. If everything looks fine from a visual inspection, then start taking measurements from the frame to the ground. Either it was twisted from the previous accident, or you twisted it when you drove through the drainage channel. It could also be suspension related. How do the spring mounts look in the rear? Any funky angles?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To be honest, I never really paid attention to the body lines that much before the concrete incident but I do remember the passenger side always seeming slightly higher than the drivers side. Not really noticeable to the naked eye however.

I just placed a couple washers (2) under the furthest two bed body mounts on the drivers side and one washer on the front bed body mount and man it made a world of difference! I could see the bed was off by looking at the rear/back window and using it as a guide for the bed. Now I have it perfectly straight!

The body line is perfect on the drivers side now but the passenger side is just slightly off.

Thanks for the advice on checking from the ground to the frame. Never thought of that. I'll keep you posted.

Allen

TRUNK_MONKEY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep
Transmission
Automatic
it sure sounds like missed frame damage to me.maybe a local shop can do a frame measurement for you?look for higher end shops that have electronic measuring systems.
also look for ICAR and ASE trained techs,they will be more likely to have the best equipment to get you checked out.
scot

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
it sure sounds like missed frame damage to me.maybe a local shop can do a frame measurement for you?look for higher end shops that have electronic measuring systems.
also look for ICAR and ASE trained techs,they will be more likely to have the best equipment to get you checked out.
scot
X2 and how are your body mount bushings? Cracked and sagging?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Everything checked out from my measurements from the ground to frame all the way around.

I ended up putting about an 1/8" worth of washers between the bed and farthest back mount on the drivers side and it also corrected the passenger side as well....wierd!

Allen

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Everything checked out from my measurements from the ground to frame all the way around.

I ended up putting about an 1/8" worth of washers between the bed and farthest back mount on the drivers side and it also corrected the passenger side as well....wierd

Allen
Not that weird, the factory uses shims to align the body and cab from the factory. I thought you were more off than that. I'd still be thinking about checking the frame for straightness.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals