• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I have no static at all, something's wrong.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As some of you might know, I had a 9ft Belden Coax attached to a 4ft firestik on a hood mount. The mount started to rub paint off, so I built a mount that went across the bed rails.

I got a new 18ft firestik coax, and attached it, routed it, all that good stuff, and I also put a spring on. When I turned my radio on to see if I could hear static, there is no sound coming out of the radio, no static at all. Anyone know whats wrong with it?

I really can't think of what it could be besides maybe the ground on the bar, but the bolts are touching the bare metal of the bed, and the bed is grounded to the chassis so...

willievhook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you have it tuned after you moved it?

Did you put bushing on to keep the bolt from touching your ground plane?

I've also heard that "plug into the bottom of the antenna" coax didn't ground out very well...

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you have it tuned after you moved it?

Did you put bushing on to keep the bolt from touching your ground plane?

I've also heard that "plug into the bottom of the antenna" coax didn't ground out very well...
Nope, didn't tune it yet, because there aint any static, there should be static before you tune it anyway...

I put one of those things on the bracket... maybe I should do two, and enlarge my hole. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks

countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would run a ground from the the frame to the new bracket that way u know u have a good ground. run under some power-lines and see if you get any noise. that will let you now if you have a connection between the antenna and the coax.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm, I drilled the hole out to the size that the package told me, and then put the nylon washer on, and it works good now. Thanks!

philmorley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
What exactly was the problem you had? I believe i'm having the same issue with mine.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What exactly was the problem you had? I believe i'm having the same issue with mine.
I messed up when I drilled the holes, and drilled too small of a hole. This setup is long gone, however.

:icon_thumby:

philmorley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I wonder why drilling too small of a hole had such an effect on the SWR. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but this issue is driving me insane.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wonder why drilling too small of a hole had such an effect on the SWR. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but this issue is driving me insane.
Because the mounting stud didn't fit at all, and I was lacking the nylon washer that is required for proper usage. I just didn't have the parts I needed.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The driven element was grounding out, so he effectively shorted out and bypassed the antenna.

The outside braid of the coax, and the shell of the connector, should be well connected to ground. The center conductor should connect to the antenna, and not to ground at all. At least that is the case with a vertical-style whip, which is what 99% of mobile CB setups use.

There are other antenna configurations, but they're large, and complicated, and the theory behind them is well beyond the scope of this discussion.

Spott

philmorley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Gotcha! I think that is the same issue I am having. Thanks for your help guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals