• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 troubles: random misfire, power loss

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all!

I had an account here some time ago that seems to have disappeared so I had to re-register.

Anyway, to my problem. Got an 84 2wd Ranger XLT with a worn out 2.8. Have some compression issues on a few cylinders that seem to be stable for about the past year. Its been running fine for a long time with the exception of the vast amounts of oil smoke. But just a few days ago I was going up a hill and all of a sudden it felt like it was out of gas. The more I pressed the accelerator the slower it went. That lasted about 30 seconds then it was fine for a while. It did it again the next day, then went away and was fine just like before. Then I was driving on saturday night out to a friends house and something else happened. It started misfiring randomly and popping almost like a backfire in the lower RPMs while driving. At idle it was just missing so bad that it wouldn't run on its own. Power has cut nearly in half. And it started running a bit hotter than normal. It wont go up hills for anything now, even small ones.
So I pulled the plugs, they were all fairly well fouled up, with the exception of the number 2, but I cleaned them up some and put them back in to get me home. The number 2 though, had hard white mushroom head-like deposits on the ceramic. I asked one of the mechanics at work what that meant because I've never seen anything like that before. According to him that was most likely caused by a weak spark or an incomplete burn. Thats all I know at this point. I haven't had a chance to do a compression check, but I kinda doubt that is the problem. This came up almost immediately. I'm thinking either a head gasket, or some problem with the ignition.
The coolant level was low a few days ago, and I don't see any signs of leaks. There was some coolant overflow on top of the reservoir tank when I checked it. I topped it off and checked it again yesterday and it was low again, but not by much.

I'm going out to check it again in a few. I drive it today to work and back and it seemed to run fine, but there still isn't any power.

Any ideas on what this might be? Im kinda leaning to the ignition system. Right after I got this thing the timing advance wire for the distributor broke and it acted almost just like this. Little power, running hotter than normal. Im at a loss here though, I don't have a ton of money to throw around at this thing chasing problems right now, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the length, and thanks in advance.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It might be worth checking the PCV, it is in the passenger side valve cover. Mine would barely stay running and did alot of backfiring when mine fell apart.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals