• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which is the best brand?

94rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Although this question has probably been asked a million times, I was just wondering what your guys opinions are on these three tires (Firestone Destination M/T, BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R) and which one would be the best for me. They're pretty similar when it comes to pricing so that's not too big a deal, but what I plan on doing is a fair bit of offroading, no rock crawling, but all the mud and trails I can find. This will be my DD but noise wouldn't matter as long as the treadwear is good on a fair bit of pavement. Also I am 16 and don't exactly baby my truck on the streets or anywhere I go for that matter. If someone has actually ran all three or two of these tires before and coud let me know their opinion and what's the best way to get a good life out of them (air pressure, rotations, driving habits) that would be awesome. Thanks for the opinions guys. If it makes a difference I live near Vancouver BC and go in the snow a fair bit and the size will be 33x12.5R15.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Outlined+White+Letters&tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+M/T
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Raised+White+Letters&tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T/A+KM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Outlined+White+Letters&tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+MT/R

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've run the Goodyears, and the BFGs (both in the same size & on the same vehicle).

Of those two, the BFG would be my pick, the quality control on them seems a bit better than on the Goodyear (they're closer to being round). The BFG's tread also cleans out much better, making them better in mud.

BFG has recently begun redesigning the tread though (won't be on the 33s for several more months), which concerns me a bit. The tire was awesome for a streetable radial, why are they messing around with it? :icon_confused: The BFG Krawler than they modeled the new tread design after was never all that hot in the mud :no2:

Not familiar with the Firestones though. Just by looking at their tread design, they probably won't clean out as well as the BFG's current design will (nor do they have the staggered edges on the shoulder blocks).

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
the firestones are SWEET. i purchased 2 of them from a friend who had ran them for 40k i ran them for 3-5k and just sold them with atleast 60% tread left! they cleaned out well and took a beating.

Silverado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've run all 3, albeit on larger trucks.

The BFG's were the best in the mud. The Goodyears wore really fast. The Firestones were decent, but a bit louder than the BFG's on the road.

Mind you, I believe the BFG MT has a brand new tread design now... I had the older ones, 2 years ago.

98ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i work at discount tire and personally would never even think about firestones (lol, i might be a little biased though). i would go with the bfg's, they have been around forever and you cant go wrong with bfg. the wrangler mtr's are a pretty awesome tire though too. just my 2 cents but i would suggest bfg.

p.s. rotate every 6-8k, watch for cupping though, mudders will tend to cup if you dont keep them rotated. 35 psi for around town.

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
from my experience on the bfgs, they last pretty long. i had a set on my truck for about 10,000 miles and didnt wear very much. when my buddy bought his jeep it had new mtrs and when he sold it a year later, they looked pretty new. he had 37s on his dd.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mind you, I believe the BFG MT has a brand new tread design now... I had the older ones, 2 years ago.
Last I checked the selection was pretty limited for the new design, I couldn't find anything for a rim much smaller than 18".

dirtsquirt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 2005
Make / Model
ford And jeep
Engine Size
2.9 And 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I would be looking the yokohama tires. I am from BC, but have been in alberta since 2000

They are by far the best tire i have used. stand up to blast rock like it's pavement. great with black ice and snow. awsome warranty, good price 200.000 klm never and never had a flat. great on wet roads good water clearing no hydro plaining. And above average in the mud.

94rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks, that's what i figured. guess i'll be going with the BFG MTs. Besides 98ranger4x4, does anybody have an opinion on a good psi for around town and mudding too , at least something to start with then i'll tweak it a bit? I'm going to have 15x8 wheels.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would agree, 35 PSI (at least up front, maybe 30 PSI in the rear except when hauling a heavy load some distance, then 35 rear also).

You might see a small bit of area at the tread edges of the rear tires that won't touch the road at that pressure, I've found it's not detrimental in any way as long as you heed a proper rotation interval. Lowering the air pressure only hurts your MPG, and the tire will NOT last longer, even though it might wear more uniformly.

Mud whomping, it'll depend on the type of mud.
Thick gooey bottomless mud might be better done at a low pressure, say 10-15 PSI. If there's a hard bottom available to dig down to, then higher pressures may work better.
My mudding experience might not be as great as some others here though, maybe others can also comment on a good mud PSI.

hope that helps

98ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
[/QUOTE]Mind you, I believe the BFG MT has a brand new tread design now... I had the older ones, 2 years ago.[/QUOTE]

yes, they do have a new design but the old ones are still available. as far as i know the smallest you can get the new ones (called km2's) in is a 35 in an 18" wheel. they will be coming out with sizes down to a 215/75/15 i believe (IIRC)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals