• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what is the best manual?

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I m looking to buy a repair manual for my 94 ranger with 4.0 5speed man. I want to know which manual has the most/best info. Particular info. im looking for is wheel bearing removal, engine removal, taking apart the engine, trans repair, and front diff cover removal. thanks

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The factory ones would be best. Try evil bay and see if you can score- I got mine on there aboout a year or so back for about 1/3 of what I woulda spent at the stealership. I got the whole set of three books for my '02 for about $80.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
+1 on the factory manual. I got the ones for my 03 for around $80 as well and I don't regret it.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Factory manuals (2 volumes) and for the particularly intrepid mechanics the evtm and powertrain diagnosis manuals too.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The "best" in my opinion for just a sole reference source is the Ford factory manuals. But keep in mind that's several different manuals- the shop manual for the general overall vehicle; the Emissions book for how everything works, and the EVTM and big wiring diagram for things electrical. And there's also the training manuals for the new things as they appeared, which are really cool.

Aftermarket sources, such as Chiltons and Haynes, have value in that their material is presented for the "casual" mechanic, the "do it yourselfer", versus the professional perspective of the factory materials. One value of the aftermarket resources is their describing procedures with generic special tools, versus the Ford books refering to "Rotunda tool number xxxx". But, the bad is that they just skim each subject, and are very vague in many places.

For what it's worth, before I dive into something new on my trucks, in order, I a) search the (old & real) TRS.com forums, b) read the Ford material I have, and c) read my Chiltons and Haynes.

Searching the TRS forums was actually the most valuable resource for me personally.

Just my humble opinion . . .

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
do chiltons and haynes manuals have have torque specs for everything? Im liking the sounds of their manuals and torque specs are important to me

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The chiltons and haynes usually have the torque specs you'll need, but they tend to stop at some parts because they won't cover more advanced stuff.

For example, I just helped a buddy do rear main and new clutch in his 95 Mustang GT. He also brought along a new input bearing retainer for the tranny because the factory ones were aluminum and the throw out bearing tended to cause a lot of wear at higher miles. They didn't list the torque specs in the Haynes because it's a "transmission part" and they don't do transmissions. We ended up looking it up for my old ranger in the Ford manual I have and used that. I figured the torque spec couldn't be that different.....

Seabiscuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Apparently Autozone has uploaded manuals to the internet. For a fee of five dollars you can use them for thirty days. Does anybody know what company they are using as the publisher? I hope the OEM manuals... guy at the counter was pretty confident it was not Chiltons but he was not sure who they use.

grumpyguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I use Alldata and Mitchell on demand. These are software versions of the factory manuals and are updated online complete with TSB's and recalls etc.

Seabiscuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I use Alldata and Mitchell on demand. These are software versions of the factory manuals and are updated online complete with TSB's and recalls etc.
How much?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals