• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where's your ham rig?

Steve W

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, bone stock
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I've seen the posts for CB mounting and some of them are pretty good.

VHF/UHF ham sets require higher current then the 4W CB sets, so part of this post is to get ideas about how to get the power cable up to the battery, as using the interior wiring will likely be inadequate unless I stay QRP.

I've got a '97 standard cab with a fairly basic interior. I've done a cursory look at the firewall and it appears the rubber area around the steering column may be a possible route. Anyone used that? Are there any plugs in the floor where I could sneak the coax?

TNX & 73,

Steve
(W1ES)

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I poked a hole through the rubber grommet surrounding (I think it was) the cruise control wiring and ran a wire through there to the battery (it's nearby where the big main harness plug is under the dash).

Several rubber hole plugs in the rear cab floor area you can do the same for the coax too (pull the carpet up a bit to find them).

ChopTop84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Keep that coax away from your computer unless its high quality stuff. The radioshack stuff will bleed into your computer and kill your engine, or make it run really funny. Ask me how I know!

My rig is a remote unit, so the faceplate is on the dash, but the "brain" is under the back seat and the wiring is run up thru the floor. Does Ham and CB both, so only one rig.

ChrisW6ATV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My truck will get a 2m or dual-band radio eventually. On other vehicles, I have run 12-gauge power wires through a hole I have cut in a big grommet around a wire harness near the steering column.

Smokeybehr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91, 88
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Radio is mounted to the roof crossmember, with the power running down the A pillar on the passenger side through a grommet to the battery.

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
anyone ever mount a ham rig in the glove box? i'm thinking of doing that and mounting up a small fan to create airflow.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Since I have a Gen3 Ranger with what is largely an explorer harness there were exsisting power feeds through the firewall for equipment that I simply don't have... Power windows rear window defogger rear wiper...

So I used the 30amp line for the rear window defogger to feed power to my 2m/44 rig

That line is fused with a 30amp Maxi-fuse in the underhood load center as well as the twin 20amp inline fuses Icom includes in the factory power cable for the radio.

The rig is currently mounted under the dash, but I'm relocating it to my overhead shelf
as soon as the weather cools off

As mounting it there will actually shorten all the wiring runs, particularly the one to the roof mounted antenna.

AD
N2TBI

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals