• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

computer question

booblinker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a have a computer the i hooked up a Ethernet cord from my router. My question is how do i get the computer to recognize i am using the Ethernets port for a connection and not the modem. It has window 98.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It should speak TCP/IP regardless, so there shouldn't be any difference to the OS.

EXCEPT, you may have had a crossover cable if you connected your computer directly to your modem. You need a straight-through cable to talk to a router.

A crossover cable lets two "clients" talk directly to each other by swapping the transmit and receive pairs at one end.

Tigger038

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The first question I have for you is does the lights light up on your router? Next you need to set up your ethernet card with TCP/IP. To do that I can't remember but want you are looking for is to eather have your router running DHCP server and your computer auto find IP or set up both on the same sub net mask number (IE. 255.255.255.0) and set up your router with an IP of 192.168.0.1 and your computer IP of 192.168.0.2 and the computer's gateway as 192.168.0.1. That way your computer be networked to the router. Then the internet should work if it doesn't tell me and I can talk to an old friend that is still running 98.

DK27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Windows 98 is really just as simple as anything else to setup. First question would be is the ethernet adapter on and recognized by the OS? Look in the control panel and "network" to see if you have a LAN connection. If you don't, get into the system and device manager to see if you need to install drivers for you LAN adapter. Also, do you have lights on the adapter when you plug the ethernet cable into it? No lights = problem.

Also, what are you hooking it up to? Are you plugging it into a Cable Modem (or DSL Modem), or a router? Though, really neither of these should make a difference these days cause the IP should be assigned automatically by default these are still things that could help us in the end.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals