• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

electric cooling fan

ranger dude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
hey has anyone tried the flexalite electric cooling fan #40 my ranger runs abit on the warm side the "a to l "in traffic with the a/c on it's been hot out lately the old 4.0L getting up there on the miles 195000 just wondering if it work for towing and 4wheeling any suggestions

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Electric fans REDUCE cooling capacity despite their claims. This is a bad idea if you're already having problems.

Do check if your viscous clutch is blown. If the temperature only creeps up at very low speed or idle, it's a distinct candidate. Also look for signs of a plugged radiator (especially cool spots in back after turning it off) and a missing fan shroud.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yep....VERY few aftermarket electric fans do squat for cooling, and I don't believe there has EVER been a RBV with a substandard cooling system.

Odds are it's the aforementioned fan clutch, loose belt, need for a backflush, or just a good old clogged up radiator.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if that radiator is original there is a good chance it is clogging. If so, don't rod it out, just replace the darn thing.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a bad water pump will cause some of the same symptoms, but chances are better that the radiator is clogged or the fan clutch is toast. it could also be a thermostat stuck partially open.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Electric fans REDUCE cooling capacity despite their claims. This is a bad idea if you're already having problems.

Do check if your viscous clutch is blown. If the temperature only creeps up at very low speed or idle, it's a distinct candidate. Also look for signs of a plugged radiator (especially cool spots in back after turning it off) and a missing fan shroud.
Why do they reduce performance? Why is this true?

Can the less effective electric be offset by a slightly larger radiator? Is there a site or study done to prove this?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the majority of electric cooling fans on the market cannot approach the amount of CFM that a mechanical fan can move, thus, less cooling capacity. add that to the fact that most people dont use a proper fan shroud when switching to an electric fan and you get a greatly reduced capacity.

yes the less powerful electric fan can and should be offset with a larger radiator.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
The only real benefit of switching to an electric fan, in my opinion, is the elimination of the "boat propeller" when traversing deep water. The electric fan can be switched off to prevent water from being thrown all throughout the engine compartment like with a mechanical fan.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
With a (properly operating) fan clutch, the fan is freewheeling at highway speed anyway. That said, a few people at www.mysporttrac.com and www.explorerforum.com have installed them and like them.

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I like it a lot, for the water/mud reason. With a bigger radiator the fan rarely runs. On eBay you can get the OEM version of the Black Magic 150. Its called a ProForm and its half the Summit Racing price of the BM150.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
The only real benefit of switching to an electric fan, in my opinion, is the elimination of the "boat propeller" when traversing deep water. The electric fan can be switched off to prevent water from being thrown all throughout the engine compartment like with a mechanical fan.
This is the main reason I switched to electric. I these parts during winter wheelin even if you have a good fan shroud a mechanical fan packs the engine compartment full of snow. With an electric you don’t have this problem as it tucked much closer to the rad.

When I switched to electric I also upgraded to a 4.0 radiator. Much thicker then the dinky 2.9 rad.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Once again, the stock setup is very capable.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The only capacity problem on a properly working stock setup I've seen is a 2.9L in a very punishing environment -- over 10,000 feet altitude, very hot and dry, 26% uphill grade and very low speeds due to curves (Sonora Pass, CA).

Don't screw with the fan itself at all. It REDUCES your capacity, always. If you need more capacity or your radiator is plugged, retrofit the 4.0L 2row radiator ALONE.

The ONLY reason to use an electric fan is to accomodate FREQUENT deep water crossings. For occasional ones, carry a fan clutch tool and just remove the fan each time. FYI, the issue is not spraying the water all over the place. Who cares? It's hydraulically pulling the fan blades into the radiator core.

linuxman2003

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had an electric fan on my truck for a little while, and I can vouch for everything everyone here is saying... they dont really do squat for cooling capacity unless you get more than one, and a good shroud. I suppose if you lived somewhere that saw VERY extreme heat all the time it wouldn't be a bad idea to have an eletric pusher fan in addition to the mechanical fan...

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I had an electric fan on my truck for a little while, and I can vouch for everything everyone here is saying... they dont really do squat for cooling capacity unless you get more than one, and a good shroud. I suppose if you lived somewhere that saw VERY extreme heat all the time it wouldn't be a bad idea to have an eletric pusher fan in addition to the mechanical fan...
thats a bad idea. the mechanical fan will out pull the electric fan. the electric fan just becomes an obstruction.

I had an electric fan on a 1980 toyota pick up with a 22r. we used a 160* thermosat and the engine stayed around 180 even in the summer going up the sylvan hill on hwy 26 in stop and go traffic.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals