• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NC Guy Needs HELP with 2.3 Problem

bmax77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1988 2.3L engine in my Ranger. It is a 4 plug "A" engine. All I can find around Gastonia NC are 2.3L engines with 8 PLugs. What will I need to change to be able to use one of these engines in my truck/ I'm new to this site so any help would be great. Also what models by year I mean will fit I now have a 5 speed transmission:icon_confused:

John Smith

Reaction score
i believe any

earlier 2.3L from a Pinto/Bobcat etc would be fine....your 5speed is specific to a 4 banger and your tranny could be the stronger m50 so it doesn't have a removable bellhousing......is desirable to the turbo crowd....you may find some info on engines if you hang around the turboford forums....these existed in the late 70's-80's and the block were compatable with your ignition system...

(in 1974 that block came out in a pinto)...google LIMA ford 4banger and a 74 points dist fits in it just fine or a 78 duraspark dist...
good luck....you have a great trans and good roller cam head probably....don't let go of thiose peices quickly..
if you like your truck...it's a great combination....
get yourself up to speed and you'll find what you want....

regards:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals