• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can you lock up your wheels?

iwfur25

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Or get ABS to activate on dry pavement? I can't... I have LT265/75-16s on an '01 4x4. I recently got the truck and decided to test the brakes after changing the fluid today. The pedal feels the same (didn't get any air in the system). The truck stops OK but I was thinking the ABS should at least come on a little during a hard stop. I know the bigger tires aren't helping but does this seem normal to anyone else?

DesertStorm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 and 94
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Or get ABS to activate on dry pavement? I can't... I have LT265/75-16s on an '01 4x4. I recently got the truck and decided to test the brakes after changing the fluid today. The pedal feels the same (didn't get any air in the system). The truck stops OK but I was thinking the ABS should at least come on a little during a hard stop. I know the bigger tires aren't helping but does this seem normal to anyone else?
How fast are you going when trying to lock up the brakes? If you are going slow the abs will not activate. Im not sure but an 01 would probably have 4 wheel abs. Did you properly bleed the brakes? Why did you need to change the fluid, was it burnt or did you replace a component of the brake system? more details please.

HRTKD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
In my '91 4X4 I have to be pretty careful about hitting the brakes hard. The ABS (rear only) doesn't work at near as I can tell. I'm running BFG All Terrain A/T KO that are slightly oversized.

iwfur25

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I was going about 40 on the last try. It does have 4 wheel ABS. I try to change brake fluid every 5-6 years since its easy enough to do... I used a power bleeder that's been trouble free on other vehicles. It was pressurized every time I cracked a bleeder screw open. If air got in, it was very sneaky.

FWIW, the pedal feels almost exactly like my 2wd '95 with rear ABS... kinda short pedal travel, same force needed to bottom it out. ABS never needs to work in the dry and the fronts lock right up, but then again the tires are way smaller.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
with the bigger tires, i dont think that you were applying enough force to lock them up. if thats the case then there is no reason for the ABS to activate.

i to was able to lock the fronts on my 96 2wd on dry pavement. i have not yet tried with my 1997 4x4 with 32s.

Chic N Stew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9ltr
Transmission
Manual
mine isn't abs but i still don't like smashing the brake pedal to the floor, i feel like it will break something on such an old vehicle

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
P265s aren't that big. About 31 inches, the same size I have on my Exploder.

And yes, I can lock up the front. It has RABS, and you can feel the front slip on a very hard stop. All too easily.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals