• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I need more power

Rusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hi, i plan on putting 33x12.5x15's on my 1983 ranger. it has the 2.8 v6 and the toyko 5spd tranny, i was wondering what should be my first moves in adding power? or if i should just swap a sbf or a 4.0 to start with? i would also like to keep it carburated so i was wondering if you could/be worth swaping in a 4.0 and putting the cabruration system back on it. i really dont want to swap in lower gears because its going to be my DD i'm just looking for some things i can do to get more power to move those fat tires around.

thank you.

Last edited:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Depends on what you consider simple. For a 4.0, it's actually more simple to run fuel injection. The 4.0 will get you the grunt you want, vs. the 2.8. But what I think you really need is a gear change, a change to 4.56's or 4.88's. That will let your engine have more leverage over the tires. BTW, to my knowledge, there isn't a way to put a carb on the 4.0, and no the 2.8 carb/manifold, will not fit on it.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
+1 on the gears
If you put 33's on her, putting in some 4.56 or 4.88 gears will bring you back to about stock depending on what you have now....

Rusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well i was thinking of keeping the gear/tire ratio a little high so i can get better milage. but what gears come stock??? and were could i get like 4:10s for it at a decent price? as for the swap, the 4.0 is the same block right? so if i swap heads and the cam drive i should beable to put the carb on. and have it run kindof like a poked and stroked 2.8 right?

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
well i was thinking of keeping the gear/tire ratio a little high so i can get better milage. but what gears come stock??? and were could i get like 4:10s for it at a decent price? as for the swap, the 4.0 is the same block right? so if i swap heads and the cam drive i should beable to put the carb on. and have it run kindof like a poked and stroked 2.8 right?
nope the blocks are different. the 4.0 is wider

Rusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
what other cars did the cologne blocks come in? i have no problem striping one down and regaskiting it if its like a 3.0 or 3.8 engine so i can get more power.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
You could build a doubler. You'll have your high gearing for highway cruising, but a new range of super low gears for plenty of power on the trail.

Also, you're better off with fuel injection. (In my opinion)

Rusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well this truck isnt fuel injected to start. and i've had my fair share of FI problems on other things. so i would rather not convert.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so i would rather not convert.
5.0L. IMO...

Pete

Edit:
Evan is right though, EFI is better on the trail.

The 2.8L is really nothing like the 4.0L except for the bellhousing.

It's flat top piston design, solid lifter, and cam/crank timing gear is interesting...

Last edited:

Rusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yeah, i get that the 4.0 is entirely differnt. but is there any other car that the cologne block came in, like a taurus w/ a 3.0 for example, then i could swap the block and keep my carburation by swaping the heads, intake manifold, exhaust, and cam drive. then regaskit and clean every thing while its apart.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
no you can't the only block that is the same is the 2.8L from the early 70's cars and probably a 2.9L with differences only in the heads and intake. The only way you could keep carburation would be an early 70's swap or a v8 swap, otherwise, Fuel injection.

No a taurus engine is flipped and would get you a front wheel drive 2wd ranger w/ FI.
FI isnt bad you just have to keep it clean and dry. Or try finding an engine with manual fuel injection (like my 7.3L diesel has a manual fuel pump running off the engine.)

Rusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've looked around some more and why is there not good performance internal rebuild componets for these engines, i mean the best pistons are 9 to 1. That is as low as some factory turbocharged engines. why is there not compertions like 10 or 11 to 1?

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've looked around some more and why is there not good performance internal rebuild componets for these engines, i mean the best pistons are 9 to 1. That is as low as some factory turbocharged engines. why is there not compertions like 10 or 11 to 1?
Because it's old tech and not used in a bunch of popular cars. As far as I know the 2.8L was only used in Capri's, Mustang II's, Pinto's, Ranger's and Bronco's, stateside. Most of those (all?) either had factory 5.0 liter options, or have swap kits to swap the 5.0 liter in. You can grab a 160 HP / 215ish lb-ft TQ engine out of a Grand Marquis all day long for a couple hundred, compared to $400 for the intake alone on a 2.8 (plus, get better mileage and much better power). Even better, a factory 5.0 from a Mustang, I've seen several for a couple hundred bucks the last few weeks. 205-215 HP.

I like the 2.8 but would rather buy a good used 5.0 and a swap kit over upgrading the 2.8 if it came down to it. Most guys who do 2.8 builds are "dare to be different" and that is admirable because they like the challenge of getting real power out of a carb'd V6 that has less power than most new 4 cylinders.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
These 2.8s are great engines, but are not powerhouses. They hot rod these engines over seas, but to get lots of power cheap, go V-8 if your smog laws allow.
As for the gears you can get mileage or power, not both.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals