• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Snow Tires

zilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Can anyone recommend a good snow tire for my '05 2wd?

I have 350 pounds of sandbags in the bed, and i'm still slipping and sliding all over.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
if you have tall gears out back and/or arent carfull you will slip and slide no matter what. winterforce are good snow tires. personally i would get 2 wider ATs and/or studded tires(example, if you have 30 9.50s get some 30 11.5s for the rear) before i would get snow tires. its usually not worth the expense to get snow tires because you have to swap em off your rims every winter or buy 2 extra rims(same goes for studded in ohio atleast).

edit: i am not a fan of putting weight in the bed because it tends to pull you more when you go into a hard slide(regular thing for me).

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
You'd want narrower tires if anything, not wider. Wider will make you float on the snow and be even worse for sliding and spinning out. I do second the Winterforce suggestion, awesome tire for a good price, studded is even better.

bigspaceghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4.sl0w
Transmission
Manual
tires

Look into a set of Goodyear Assurance. 80,000 mile warranty,Excellent handling charactoristics(wet,dry,snow,ice) And they are quiet on the road. I have put these on several vehicles and have no complaints. Also-you would not have to swap out in the spring. Check out the ratings on these tires. You wont be dissappointed.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You'd want narrower tires if anything, not wider. Wider will make you float on the snow and be even worse for sliding and spinning out. I do second the Winterforce suggestion, awesome tire for a good price, studded is even better.
wider tires get better traction 99% of the time and you are correct but only in one way, wider tires will float if they dont have significant weight on them, he says he has 3-400lbs in the bed. those tires will make a solid print and will provide better control.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I strongly disagree with that, but each to their own.

The narrower tire will be able to sink through the snow/slush better to get to the pavement below than a wider flotation tire will. You want to argue different come drive my 35x12.50's in the slush and snow and let me know. Same with my girlfriends lifted Grand Cherokee, the 31x10.50's suck big time in the snow, as soon as you put the 215/75r15's on it its like theres no snow on the roads anymore.

Silverado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've got Arctic Claw's on mine, studded. They seem decent and weren't very expensive.

bandit

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i ran 31x10.50 bfg all terrains and 95% of the time i wouldnt even use my four wheele drive. and i never had stuff in the bed to "add traction"

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if your running MTs or anything closely resembliing them sasquatch your problem has nothing to do with the tire size, its the kind of tire! mts are equal in traction to street slicks in the snow! theres no siping. you diffrence has more to do with your tire design than your tire size. i agree with the bgf ATs as being good snow tires, i have never ran them but have gotten nothing but good reviews about them especially in snow.

blkmazda90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
well if you ask me.....whats wrong with sliding all over the road its fun as hell:D

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i run pep boys dakota futura tires in winter 235-15's (same size as stock) very similar tread desigsn to the bfg a/t but alot less money. had same breed tires on a 2wd chevy 3/4 ton and it did well in winter also. i use about 300# in the bed for ballast, helps in deep snow. 4wd helps best when cornering, just floor it and turn. you cant stop any better with a 4wd but you can get a good start from a standing stop. i prefer the narrower tires for winter. ive ran with 215s before, but it looks funny with the big wheel-well openings and i lose some ground clearance that way. with 235's ive got the same -size spare for both sets of tires.
________
Mercedes-Benz M156 engine history

Last edited:

zilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well if you ask me.....whats wrong with sliding all over the road its fun as hell:D

You're right. Nothing wrong with sliding around. But I want to be able to decide when I do it.

Thanks for the input guys.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Bridgestone Blizzaks are the shiznit for snow. The stock size will be fine.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
wider tires get better traction 99% of the time and you are correct but only in one way, wider tires will float if they dont have significant weight on them, he says he has 3-400lbs in the bed. those tires will make a solid print and will provide better control.

I disagree. When I went from 12.5s on the rear to 14s I lost a lot of traction on slippery surfaces. Same when I went from 155s to 195s on my car.

From a Physics standpoint, a wider tire puts less force per square inch on the road, making the lugs dig in less.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
best for the money are lee wintermark high-void, about $50-60, dig like crazy. and you guys are both right about wide tires, narrow tires are better for pushing the snow outfrom underneath the tire because the snow doesnt have to travel as far to make rubber contact pavement. if you had big, wide tires with a real aggressive, higher void tread, the snow would just move into the tread. if you had just all-season tires, the wider they are the worse off you would be.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals