• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hellllp me please

83_rangerdave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6 Soon too be 72 vette 350
Transmission
Automatic
83 Ranger i just did do the duraspark and its getting spark but wont crank and run too save my life.. Well it does have the feedback carb still on it what do I need too do?? Ive plugged all the stuff on carb Im clueless what too do until i get carb and thats going too be 2weeks!!! help me somehow get it running for time being something is bad wrong i smell raw fuel too

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
what do you mean it won't crank? The starter will not turn the motor? If you have spark and fuel it should work. Check the timing and make sure it is not 180 degrees off.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You mean wont FIRE. Cranking means the starter is turning the motor.

When I did mine I put the plug wires on the disty backwards. Took me about 3 hours to figure out the disty turned the OPPOSITE direction. Switched them around and it fired up first try.
Did you install the new disty with the rotor in the same direction as the old one? It helps if you set the engine to TDC before removing the disty.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Check all of the above and then replace the mixture control on the carb with a manual metering block (half an hour or less to make) and you should be good.

83_rangerdave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey again too everyone

Well im preety sure that i hooked wire up right i got the napa connectors for the dizzy and the module prpl-prpl, orang-orang,black to black andwhite, green from module too - on my stock coil and found a grey connector with brown and fine pink line in it that i took a test light with my switch on and lite up there and i took a connector and hooked my + side connector too coil... then the red and white plugin was hooked too module isnt this right? well for the dizzy when i pulled old out i saw where the rottorbutton was pointing and put new one in same spot.. allso today i turned the engine by hand and the markings on harmonic has two notches cut out and the marking too the left hand side is lined up with marker tab and the rotor button is pointing too the number1 spot on dist cap.. so im wondering if its just the carb? i just bought a 75 f100 302 2bl carb reman today be here sat hope she works and the duraspark swap isnt a failure and waste of time sorry for long post

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
do you get spark when you hook a timing light to the #1 plug wire turn the ignition on then use a screwdriver to jump the starter solenoid you should be able to time it close enough. You can pull the top off the carb and check the float level the fuel level should be a little over 3/4 of an inch from the top of the carb measure toward the center of the fuel as the sides the fuel climbs up the walls. If you get spark and the fuel level is good your probably 180 out either turn the rotor or move the wires 180 degrees. put a white or yellow crayon mark on 10 degrees before tdc it is easier to see from under the front and you can use a socket and light to turn the crank and see the marks

schmoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83 2.8 ranger
Make / Model
84 2.3 4x4 rang
Transmission
Manual
under the idle mixture screws is a vacuum
nipple that has to be hooked to manifold
vacuum. it is the power valve. it will flood
the motor if it isn't hooked up.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
you can also put the timing light on each wire till you get your mark on the crank then use that one for the #1 plug and clockwise 1-4-2-5-3-6 123 passenger side 456 drivers side from the front to rear.

83_rangerdave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
re

thanks for yalls help um i think that was the problem with carb is like one here said too have powervalve hooked too vacuum, does anyone know where too find info on which port is what on a nonfeedback after i get new one, THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND INFO hehe that might been little much but thank you all

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I depends on the carb if it has a nipple on the power valve cover it plugs into the manifold under the front of the carb just like yours if not it already is ported inside the carb. For the distributor it will either be on the choke side of the carb or next to to drivers side idle adjust screw or in my case both. You can tell when you have it running you wont get vacuum at an idle then the vacuum rises as you open the throttle. mine runs better at about 8 DBTDC you will need the spacer about $18 at schucks felpro #60529 for your new carb.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals