• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

can i use

mudrunstan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
can i use a 3.8 supercharged intake from a 89 thunderbird for the FI conversion or do i need to just use a normal 3.8 intake and stuff.it says i can use a mustang , ltd II and a couger or any RWD ford with a 3.8 but it doesnt specify what years of those models I can use either. hopefully someone out there has the answer to this perplexing question and i can get on my way to starting this project.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
What are you trying to do? Put a 3.8SC motor in an RBV? Are you asking if you can put a blower on top of a regular 2.8? Completely different motors...

Last edited:

zuki

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
suzuki
Transmission
Automatic
can i use a 3.8 supercharged intake from a 89 thunderbird for the FI conversion or do i need to just use a normal 3.8 intake and stuff.it says i can use a mustang , ltd II and a couger or any RWD ford with a 3.8 but it doesnt specify what years of those models I can use either. hopefully someone out there has the answer to this perplexing question and i can get on my way to starting this project.
i don't know anything about supercharging, but i think using the 89, is not what you want. the intake manifold from a 3.8 will not work on a 2.8, totally different motors.

i believe what you need to do the fuel injection conversion is the throttle body from an older throttle body fuel injection, say maybe mid 80's 3.8's. and i know you need some other stuff, but i am not an expert on that, so that is about as much as i am going to say.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I just read the article in the tech library, I had never seen it before.
I'm guessing you'll need a throttle body off a '87 or earlier motor, which would be a TBI motor(throttle body injection) and all the wiring/sensors/computer.

In 1988 they went to SEFI..

The blower on the 3.8SC motor wont work, you need a Throttle Body off a 3.8 from 1983-1987

Last edited:

mudrunstan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
no one really specified in the article,really wish they would have put some picts up with it,when my buddy told me he had a old thunderbird sitting around with a supercharged 3.8 i got alittle excited about the though of a supercharger in my ranger but its a good thing i didnt go all gun ho into it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals