• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CB antenna setup?

babytruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey fellas, I'm working on a antenna setup for my ranger and just want to see where you all have them located. I would like to do a permanent, quick disconnect, on my roof, just wondering if the sheet metal would hold up to a 3' or 4' antenna. Maybe some ideas on mounts I have done research but maybe some recommendations would help me make a decision. I don't have a roll bar or anything that would allow me to not deface the truck, but I always want to do something once the right way and be done with it. Thanks for helping. :icon_cheers:

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
they have them on threads with them mounted on the trucks you can look there if you don't get many replies

Last edited:

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have both a cb and an aftermarket am/fm antenna and use the quick disconnects for both of them. like them a lot! sorry i can't help you with where you're mounting yours as both of mine are mounted to my fiberglass bed topper.

babytruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have both a cb and an aftermarket am/fm antenna and use the quick disconnects for both of them. like them a lot! sorry i can't help you with where you're mounting yours as both of mine are mounted to my fiberglass bed topper.
I wonder did you use and plating to spread out the antenna stress? what length are you running? I guess Im worried about the antenna trying to pull out of the sheet metal and pulling the sheet metal up and back. I want to run a 3 or 4 firefly firestik. I know that they are on the lighter end. I would love to have a camper shell but I dont want to pay 1800 for a new one, and they are hard to find on CL.

Shawn_248

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

I just have a 102 inch whip mounted on the toolbox, works great

babytruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Shawn_248 I may end up getting a tool box and do that set up you have. I like the fact that it wont be physically attached to my truck itself but how did you run your ground? Im guessing that your tool box is aluminum, right? will aluminum transfer current? maybe im just overthinking this whole antenna thing.

john112deere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2009
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 / 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Hey fellas, I'm working on a antenna setup for my ranger and just want to see where you all have them located. I would like to do a permanent, quick disconnect, on my roof, just wondering if the sheet metal would hold up to a 3' or 4' antenna.
I run a Wilson 1000 mag-mount with the short-load whip (around 39") on the roof of my '97 extended cab.

How it looks:

And where the wire is routed:

Works fine, and I'm very impressed with the holding power of the magnet- far, far superior to the cheapy mag-mount I had before.

If you're willing to drill a hole in your roof (I am not), you could run the same antenna but with a drilled mount.

One of the things I like about it is that even though it's a mag-mount, the coil and whip unscrew (there's a plastic cap that goes on to keep it covered) so I can take it into parking garages, or have it put up on a mechanic's lift without having to remove the magnet and worry about the coax.

Shawn_248

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Shawn_248 I may end up getting a tool box and do that set up you have. I like the fact that it wont be physically attached to my truck itself but how did you run your ground? Im guessing that your tool box is aluminum, right? will aluminum transfer current? maybe im just overthinking this whole antenna thing.
My tool box itself is bolted to the bed of the truck. All I did was buy a mirror mount and spring at a truckstop and bolt it on there and run the coax. I don't really know squat about cb radios, but I cant talk to my friend at his house 4.5 miles away

babytruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
right on man! 4.5 miles sounds like its working to me. thats more than enough to holler at my buddies on the trails, and call for help if I needed to.

Shawn_248

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yea it is, the only thing is they get pissed off at you goin under drivethrus and stuff bc the antenna hits everything, but thats part of the fun

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
am/fm antenna is about 5 ft., cb antenna is 4 ft. i used the typical mirror mounts that the truckers use. they are mounted on each side on the front of the topper. there is just enough room between it and the cab and they fit perfect. i ran a 12 ga. ground from the cb to the am/fm inside the topper in the channel above the mounting surface where it meets the bed. on the outside of the am/fm mount, i ran a 10 ga ground to the frame. no problems so far and really easy using the quick disconnects for the garage, parking ramps, etc.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
right on man! 4.5 miles sounds like its working to me. thats more than enough to holler at my buddies on the trails, and call for help if I needed to.
Some say this isn't a good place for an antenna......but I've confirmed a clear 20mi radius of crystal clear transmit and recieve with it...

99+ Super Duty fender mount made by Accessories Unlimited (part # AUF2-L)(shortened 3/4" for asthetics)

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Some say this isn't a good place for an antenna......but I've confirmed a clear 20mi radius of crystal clear transmit and recieve with it...

99+ Super Duty fender mount made by Accessories Unlimited (part # AUF2-L)(shortened 3/4" for asthetics)

So...what are you running for boost?

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what cable? take a picture of the bracket so we can see the mounting and a picture of the unit...

memorex402

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
20 mile radius

Id love to get a 20 mile radius when I do my setup. I plan on mounting dual antennas on my roll bar. Can I get a 20 mile radius without my transmission sounding bad?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals