• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TSL Radial good for snow???

mr_speed77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My truck is my second vehicle for snow days and when i want to go muddin. Are the TSL's good in snow? Any tire suggestions for best in both categories? Also has to be radial cuz i do have to drive it on the road a bit.

whitetrash96

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I know my Ltb's which are bias aren't too bad. I've heard good things about the Trxus Mts for winter use, however you are trading off some mud performance and I hear they wear a little quicker which is probably what makes them good for winter (soft).

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
in loose snow they are good. in hard packed snow, they are horrible. the large lugs cant bite in like a smaller lug pattern can. my local tire guy says that TSLs are not DOT certified either.

Last edited:

krazybronco

Reaction score
tsl arnt dot approved i dont know where you got that from

they just arnt good in hard packed snow you need something with alot of small edges like a bfg a/t

Last edited:

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
If you go straight to the Interco website, it doesn't say anything about whether the TSL is D.O.T. approved, the only tire that says anything about being approved is the Bogger, which if the D.O.T. will approve the bogger, I don't see any reason they wouldn't approve the regular TSL's.

1987 DANGER RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Trust me if the tires werent DOT approved it would be plastered all of the mag articals and net. All tires which are sold in the US have to have a DOT number, if not then there has be a warning. Ie NOT STREET LEGAL. Your local tire guy sound like a dumb A$$ and does not have the tools to balance at tire that heavy. Plus if they werent street legal it would drove the highway patrol insane and they would sell any to the consumer.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
i adjusted my post. i was tired last night and just took what he said at face value. didnt consider actually trying to verify the info.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In my experiances with my Dunlops is they they are fairly entertaining on packed snow and ice but loose fluffy snow is a cakewalk. That seems to be the general consenous for about any really aggressive tire. I wouldn't mind finding another set of rims and AT tires for winter really and some sandbags would probably help, but I try not to drive it much when the white stuff is flying anyway.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
TSLs are very bad in snow, like metalmacguyver said, they are ok in powder but suck in hard packed. If you want a swamper the Iroks work like a champ aired down in the snow. The Good Year MTR also works very well in the snow.

littleme13

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
just my .02 but i think my bfg mt where a lot better then my roommates bfg at. i got my first set at a very high price cuz i wanted them and there was only one place that sold there where i was living at the time. but ive seen quite a few ads for them online at very resonable prices. great road manners and not very loud. lasted me about 40k and still had 1/2 inch tread left when they started to suck in the rain. had way more traction in my ranger with 31/10.50s then my roommate did with his f150 and 33/12.50s in the snow and offroad.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals