• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my 83 ticks loudly

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just got an 83 ranger 4x4, with a 2.8 at 4x4 and after replacing some vacume hoses and pcv valve, and oil and tranny filter, and fluid it runs okay, but it ticks while running. It had some bare wires I tapped back up, but it still does it. It ticks for a few seconds after I turn it off too. Is it because the distributor is against the firewall?:icon_confused:

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some of the ticking is from the lifters most likely. These engines have solid lifters and need to be adjusted now and then. The ticking after you shut the engine off is either the electronic control unit which is by the passengers right ankle or the feed back motor on the carburetor some times will make noise for a few seconds after you shut the engine off.

Eric

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome, Any tech tips on adjusting the lifters? thanks

kpbrogdon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
171 (2.8)
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, you just need to adjust the valves - in your other post you mention a blow by issue and something about the pushrod gaskets needing replaced.

These motors have rubber valve guide seals that deteriorate and need to be replaced and could be the cause of your oil burning (lots of info on this site to replace them - it's pretty simple).

I would just make a day of it and pop the covers, adjust the valves and replace the seals . . . It will probably run like a whole new motor when your done.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome! Thanks alot.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You will need to remove the rocker covers and rocker arm assy. to change the seals on the valves stems. It is kind of involved but worth it. You need to remove all the spark plugs and install a "devise" to pressurize the cylinder with and air compressor while you take a spring compressor to remove the spring and change the seal. The air pressure in the cylinder keeps the valve in place while you take the spring off. This sounded way beyond my abilities when I first read about it. Just take your time on the first one, and the second one "seems like old times". I strongly recommend getting a good service manual and it will have all the valve adjustment information and valve seal information too. I had one distinct advantage when I changed my seals....the engine was out of the truck and on a stand....yessssssssss.

Eric

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Or, you could simply just pull the pin and wait for the ticking to stop. Wait. Sorry, wrong kind of ticking there. Mine still ticks, even after adjusting the valves, but there is NOTHING left on the valves for adjustment any more. No more threads left on the adjusters, so I guess that it is finally repower time... along with other engine issues...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals