• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

problems with my radio

willievhook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the Uniden Pro520XL, had it for a couple years now, anyways, it wont work anymore. It'll turn on, but i can't be heard, and i can't hear anyone. I've checked all the wiring, fuse, coax, antenna....all look good to me. i have it mounted right above where your right leg would be when your driving, and i was thinking that maybe it got fried, cause the last time i went coon hunting, my buddy stayed in my truck and slept, and left the "foot" part of the heater on full blast....could that be it? and if not, what else could it be?:dunno:

also, i dont know if it's important to the matter, but i'm runnin it with a tuned 3 foot firestick

Flash Gordan

Savior of the Universe!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Did you get the radio matched to the antenna lately?

willievhook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you get the radio matched to the antenna lately?
what do you mean by "matched"
probably about 3 months ago i got a new firestick, same size and everything as my last one, and had the guy at radioshack tune it...

Flash Gordan

Savior of the Universe!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Matched or tuned, its pretty much all the same thing.

Resurrection Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a 510XL when i was 18. Didn't know they still made them. My guess is you have a burned out diode or resistor within your radio. Your best bet is to borrow a radio and use it to put a load your rig. If that all jives them your radio is the culprit. It's not an expensive fix but for what the radios worth you might as well grab a Cobra 29 if you don't want anything fancy. And there's nothing wrong with fiberglass to get you by but nothing gets out or receives better than a steel whip. When your radio shack dude set everything up did he use Standing Wave Ratio meter and did he pull the red cap off the end of your firestik and adjust the set screw? If he didn't do both these things you could of been talking this whole time with a high SWR which is all bad for a radio. Just tryin to help

willievhook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a 510XL when i was 18. Didn't know they still made them. My guess is you have a burned out diode or resistor within your radio. Your best bet is to borrow a radio and use it to put a load your rig. If that all jives them your radio is the culprit. It's not an expensive fix but for what the radios worth you might as well grab a Cobra 29 if you don't want anything fancy. And there's nothing wrong with fiberglass to get you by but nothing gets out or receives better than a steel whip. When your radio shack dude set everything up did he use Standing Wave Ratio meter and did he pull the red cap off the end of your firestik and adjust the set screw? If he didn't do both these things you could of been talking this whole time with a high SWR which is all bad for a radio. Just tryin to help
yeah, thank you

next paycheck i'm gonna be getting a new radio, and yeah, a steel whip
i'm "borrowing" my dads 510XL outta his huntin rig right now, so i'm not in the biggest hurry, lol
yeah, the guy at radio shack used the SWR meter, and adjusted the screw on the top of the firestik

what would be a good steel whip, and, do what, like a magnetic mount or what?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
magnet mounts are fine and come in handy when going thru the car wash. if you have a good place to mount one permanently then that might be better. it's most important to get a good ground. the magnet mount has that kind of built in really. mine is permanently mounted and has a 10 gauge wire from the mount to the frame for the ground. i use a fiberglass one because my cb also monitors all the weather channels and the antenna is set up to both cb and vhf. and i also use quick disconnects on both my cb and am/fm antennas for taking them off at the car wash, parking garage, etc.

Last edited:

Resurrection Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want a perfect SWR and get out like its no ones business.. oh and never go thru a car wash again.. get a 102" whip. Bumber mount it and you'll still look like an RC car lol.

Or you can do what was mentioned above which I ran a magnet mount Wilson 1000 for a long time. Ground is important. So is a ground plain. Thats why some people drill a big hole in their roof and mount a puck. Your antenna attaches to the puck and you now have your vehicle as your ground plain. That being said if you had a Surburban you'd be set (bigger roof..bigger ground plain)

Some dudes run 6 alternators and 8 batteries in a Suburban.. all to run a CB swinging 20K.

willievhook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want a perfect SWR and get out like its no ones business.. oh and never go thru a car wash again.. get a 102" whip. Bumber mount it and you'll still look like an RC car lol.

Or you can do what was mentioned above which I ran a magnet mount Wilson 1000 for a long time. Ground is important. So is a ground plain. Thats why some people drill a big hole in their roof and mount a puck. Your antenna attaches to the puck and you now have your vehicle as your ground plain. That being said if you had a Surburban you'd be set (bigger roof..bigger ground plain)

Some dudes run 6 alternators and 8 batteries in a Suburban.. all to run a CB swinging 20K.
wow, thats quite something....yeah, i was thinking bout the 102", that'd be pretty cool, and car washes? who goes through those, lol

okay, say i get the 102", pretty much any decent radio would work good with it?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
any radio should. but it should still be tuned. reason being to account for the length of the coax cable and any mounting differences in the antenna from the specs (like adding a spring of different heights, etc.).

calypso93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not familiar with your particular radio, but there are a few things that mysteriuosly happen to any radio that has more than two knobs.
Is the squelch control open? Is the Rf gain up all the way? Is the remote speaker plugged all the way in? Tried swapping microphones? Some have an internal switch that opens the speaker line (int and ext) when you key it.

willievhook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not familiar with your particular radio, but there are a few things that mysteriuosly happen to any radio that has more than two knobs.
Is the squelch control open? Is the Rf gain up all the way? Is the remote speaker plugged all the way in? Tried swapping microphones? Some have an internal switch that opens the speaker line (int and ext) when you key it.
yeah, i know how to work the radio, haha. did try switching the mics, i'm just using a different radio

and thanks for the info/help guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals