• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 performance

billm85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im looking for a place to buy some build up parts such as cams lifters intakes intake upgrades and basically i want to build up my 2.8 maybe even some flattop forged pistons too any help would be great

billm85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cant sell my ranger so i figure i might as well build it

red93terror

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Theres a few links in the tech library, but not many. i got a friend who has the 2.8 in his 84 b2, and its cammed out the you know what. he said crane cams makes cams for it, but i think if youre gonna go with any performance upgrade my money is on boneyard boost. get some turbo parts from the junkyard and have a fab shop make you a turbo manifold. whole lot cheaper and quicker than finding a turbo kit specifically for the 2.8

Last edited:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
im looking for a place to buy some build up parts such as cams lifters intakes intake upgrades and basically i want to build up my 2.8 maybe even some flattop forged pistons too any help would be great
Always thought it would be fun to build up a 2.8L. Should check out Sven Pruett's "How to Build and Modify Ford 60 Degree V6s" - the book is based on the 2.8L, but covers the 2.9L and early 4.0Ls as well.

Not sure if forged pistons would be worth while unless you had some sort of power adder. I believe the 2.8L already has flat tops, but cast.

First thing you might consider is getting it running good on a Duraspark setup, once you have a solid platform in that aspect as far as ignition and fuel delivery, then getting it going good with the internal modifications will make things a little more simplistic.

A lot of parts you'll find are not made, but there are manufacturers that will custom make parts. Just remember that you're going into territory with an engine that's getting pretty old and parts are getting harder to come by, not like a 4.0L or 5.0L where the aftermarket is more plentiful and less expensive.

Cam all depends on what you have planned and what you'll use the truck for. I would ask the manufacturer what will work best for your application, or work with them on specs if going with a custom grind.

Pete

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals