• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best way to lift Ranger cab off....cab swap?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What's the best way to lift a Ranger cab off? I'm doing a complete body swap on my 87 Xtracab and am about to the point where I need to swap the cabs. My 4x2 is not moveable due to no wheels/tires or rear axle/springs. My 4x4 that I'm swapping my good body on to is driveable at the moment...but soon won't be because the wiring harness is almost all the way out.

I removed my crappy bed from the 4x4 with me and my neighbor lifting it...not too bad but we slipped and scratched the paint good. Those bottom edges are sharp even with gloves. So me and three other guys lifted my good bed of the 4x2 as I didn't want it getting scratched up or dented.

My engine and tranny are still in both trucks, going to pull the radiators and that's about it.

Sooo....what's the best way to swap the cabs off? Who's done it and how'd it go?

Last edited:

Jeepman401

Reaction score
I use a chainfall to lift it, then roll the chassis out from under it

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We lifted the body off of Todd's B2 by hand. Had a few guys come over (I think 6 or 7, it's a big body), lifted it off, and carried it over to the other side of the garage.

Would have been a lot easier if the engine was out, we had to lift the front end up pretty high to clear it. But still got it done.

Blackdog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I used a fork lift with extentions.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 5ton manual chain hoist, lots of metal and a welder...but that's alot of work for one time use. Considering lifting off by group of guys. I can drive forklift excellent, just wish I had one to use at home.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
my dad and i used an engine crane with an additional boom made from 2x6's and a bunch of counterweight on the back. we rolled the chassis out from under it once it was high enough

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
IMHO
lots of guys(6 to 10) is easiest and fastest. with hooks and chains you are more likely to drop it but less likely to hurt someoneas everyone should be standing clear when something breaks.

Bob

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Likey to drop it by lifting it with equipment as opposed to 6 guys? I don't think so. One guy stumbles and everyone is likely to follow him down. I use a strap through the cab and the loops into the hook. No chance of failure. Much safer.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
use long 2x4s run under the cab side to side and use about 6 big guys (only took 8 of us to pick up an entire 89 nissan hard body out if the ditch and put it back on the road) for more stability bolt the 2x4s to the body mounts. did this for a cab from a 67 F-100 so we could put the cab and front clip on an 89 F-250.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Wrap a strap around the roof, hook the other end to a truck, and hit the skinny pedal! Ok but seriously, there's plenty of ways to do this, a sturdy swingset with a chain hoist, a log truck self loader, all your buddies and a case of beer, a 2 post lift, a fork lift, an engine hoist strapped to the back of a bedless pickup with a longer tube, all of which will work, just take your time and you'll get it done.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I intend to use my engine hoist. Pull the doors and run the boom insde the cab. A couple straps and alls good.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i usually have to do this alone at home. when i dont use an a-frame/forklift/ect i use my engine hoist.

i put bolts through the cab mount points to 4 short chains into one big ring at the hoist boom inside the cab....i have to pull the front seats to do it but its worth it on an ext cab. if you dont have a good floor it is a bitch to slide er out but just take your time and use leverage.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
pulling this from the past, I suggest more than 3 people if you aren't using a lift of some sort... Somehow, I got stuck lifting the rear of the cab by myself. Those things are HEAVY! Now I will look into using bolts in the cab mount holes! Especially since it looks like further moves will be by myself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals