• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Choke problems

d-dog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm trying to help my son with his B2 choke problem. The choke fails to open - at least within a reasonable time. The linkage is free and I checked the voltage going to the choke bi-metallic spring, but can't find what that should be. It's difficult to read on a digital multimeter, but it looks like it's cycling between 13.x and 0 volts every second or so. Does anyone know if that's correct (the cycling)? If not does anyone know what the correct voltage should be? If it's supposed to be a constant 12v, I imagine I could simply run a wire from anything that's hot when the ignition is on.
Thanx for any help out there.
Dog

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
They often do not work properly. The computer controls it, but it's fails.

Run a hot wire from the choke to the stator terminal of the alternator. It will only send voltage to the choke when the engine is running, and at less that battery voltage that the ford choke requires. That's how the electric choke/duraspark rigs were set up.

d-dog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK, thanx Totalled. Sounds like I may have 2 problems going on. From your answer, I'm assuming that cycling voltage isn't right and is probably the fault of the ignition module/computer. I'll try running the new wire like you suggest, but I think the heating element may also be bad, in that I tried running a line directly from the battery and had no reaction. The wire didn't heat and the choke didn't move. I'm a bit confused, because I checked the resistance between that electrical terminal that goes into the choke spring and got .04 ohms resistance, which I thought may not be bad. But when I run the wire from the hot side of the battery, I get nothing. That, in theory should be the same as running it to ground!?
BTW, I'm also in WA - on the east side in Pasco. That Bronco was mine for almost 20 years, till I gave it to my son. It's seen days at Pismo beach, Anza Barrego desert, Mohave desert, Moab and north Texas. Now it's his turn.
Thanx, later,
Dog

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals