• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

portable cb

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking of getting a CB radio. I like the idea of a portable CB. Are they any good or should I just get a dash mounted one? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Definately get a hard mount radio. Portables don't even have the range they advertise for them. They're about as good as a set of walkie talkie's. I don't recommend small hard mounts like the cobra 19 either. Better than a hand held, but still limited on distance. Want a good one, go for Cobra 29's, galaxie radios or the like. As for antenna, I recommend Wilson steel whip style antenna's or even a K40 steel whip. Reception and transmission is way better than with a fiberglass whip and withstand abuse (offroad) a lot better than fiberglass whips.

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
A bigger antenna hooked up to one can help, but it still won't have that great of TX or DX because of the board inside the radio.

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well for the most part I just though it would be nice to have one for trail rides. I thought that a portable one would be enough for that or would you still recommend getting a hard mount cb? I'd probably get a hard mount one eventually in the future, rght now I don't have much cash.

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I know a hand held one would be useful for me as the last time 4x4ing, one guy would be out of the rig cause the other guy was stuck and it'd of been a lot easier telling each other what to do then yelling at the top of our lungs over revving engines.
If your only going to be using it on weekend trips and your going to be within seeing distance of the guy your talking too, not much point in spending hundreds on a good cb setup when 50 buck handhelds will do.

Last edited:

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Can always get the handheld for now and upgrade later, but........

If your only going to be using it on weekend trips and your going to be within seeing distance of the guy your talking too,

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Can always get the handheld for now and upgrade later, but........
Thanks for the response guys. I think this is what I'm going to do. Get the portable and see how it goes, then get the hard mount one. Maybe this way I can get a good antenna so when I get the good CB I'll be good to go.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
For a good compact hard-mount radio, I've always suggested the well-proven, been around awhile Uniden PRO-510XL, should be like $60-70 or so IIRC. Nice simple radio similar in size to the Cobra 19 (maybe even a tad smaller), but with a far better circuit in it (much clearer on both RX and TX).
All the above antenna recommendations will get you good performance (and not all fiberglass antennas are bad, I've been quite happy with my 5' Francis Hot Rod. Not sure if they're still made though, haven't looked. I do know the 8' fiberglass Amazor has disappeared though :( Stay away from anything shorter than 5' though).

Hand-helds (with the rubber ducky ant) are generally useless after about 500-1000ft it seems. But like said would be good for spotting a driver through something though.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
we use the hard mount cb's for caravaning to and from the trails. we use the smaller, lighter, cheaper, and easier to use FRS handheld radios on the trails. clearer receprion, more channels, and better range than the hand held cb's. just an idea.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals