• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Website status and concerns ------>

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Hello all,

Forum Stats:

Since turning these new forums on 08/08/07, we've accumulated 688 registered members plus 57 pending members for a total of 745. That meens that right now we're averaging 124 new members a day.

We have 605 topics and 3,807 threads.

I like the header we have at the top of this forum better than what we had before, and I like the additional features on the sites main page. I've added the 'Top 15' posts, a list of who's currently in the forums and a list of the 10 newest members.

This forum will not allow linked avatars. There is a hack for it, but Vbulletin doesn't support it because of security issues.

I've added a bunch of avatars and then made it possible for all users to upload their own.

The smilies can be set up in catagories. I've uploaded ones holding signs, but I need to find all the rest.

Regular & Premium Members

I'm going back and forth between other things fixing accounts. I have to keep upgrading Premium Members re-registering and fixing the accounts of those stuck in Users Awaiting Confirmation.

Attachments (concerns):

I have it set to enable eveyone to upload attachments. I'm concerned about what affect this may have on the server. I'm not sure if I want to leave it enabled. I like it for the aspects of uploading tech information to post in the Submit tech forum, but I'm concerned about everyone uploading pics in posts and leaving them on the server. I think it will put a load on the site with forum users downloading the attachments VS following outside links.

Classifieds:

Right now they're free. My biggest concern there were people that may have had pending transactions on the old forum being able to continue their transactions.

Our old policy only allowed Premium Members to post items for sale. You could purchase a 1-month subscription to sell an item. Some people have came only to sell something and then left without ever contributing to the forums. Some people have only ever come here to sell. Our 1-month subscription is now $1.00. After Paypals $0.30 fee and 3% transaction fee it leaves $0.67. I've thought about waiting a few months and then making it so only Premium Members or members over a certain post count can post items for sale. I'm undecided about this.

main Site Search:

There are a lot of pages at TRS. I'm still trying to configure a search feature to search the site.

Adding other features:

I'm still looking at Blog and Photo Gallery options.

Screen Options:

Somewhere down the road I will re-implement a black or blue forum layout option to choose from. This one will always be default.

Getting replies from me:

I'm really busy. When I get emails or PM's about a problem I generally fix it and move on instead of taking time to contact people back. I bounce around, so I may not fix your problem on the exact day you send it. If it's a problem with your profile, you can also contact ryan.

If I can't do anything I'll tell you, so don't assume because you haven't heard from me that I'm not taking care of it. I may be focussed on something else.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Thanks for the update. No complaints- ROCK ON!

06yellowranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The sites looking better and better everyday Jim, we appreciate all your and your teams hard work.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
or members over a certain post count can post items for sale. I'm undecided about this.
the only bad thing about this is everyone had to re-register, so now they don't have their post count....

everything looks good with the new site...

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
I've said it before, and I'll continue to stress this point. Post count means nothing, besides proving that someone has so little else to do that they constantly are posting some type of response to any kind of thread that they can find.

I think many people can spot a good tech contributor when they read through their post.

Remember, it's not quantity but quality that counts.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
the only bad thing about this is everyone had to re-register, so now they don't have their post count....

everything looks good with the new site...
I've said it before, and I'll continue to stress this point. Post count means nothing, besides proving that someone has so little else to do that they constantly are posting some type of response to any kind of thread that they can find.

I think many people can spot a good tech contributor when they read through their post.

Remember, it's not quantity but quality that counts.
If I decided to go that route I would wait a few months before doing so in order that people could get their post counts up.

I don't think someone is going to come in here and make 100 posts just to be able to sell something.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Attachments (concerns):

I have it set to enable eveyone to upload attachments. I'm concerned about what affect this may have on the server. I'm not sure if I want to leave it enabled. I like it for the aspects of uploading tech information to post in the Submit tech forum, but I'm concerned about everyone uploading pics in posts and leaving them on the server. I think it will put a load on the site with forum users downloading the attachments VS following outside links.
You should be able to set attachment uploads for all users in just that forum only. I've seen this on other vB boards (Pirate IIRC allows it for people posting in the Vendors section, Explorerforum, in their BII and Ranger "Registry" forums)

Bentwrench

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I think everything could be a lot better. I don't see why it can't be fixed in one day. Time was, a man took pride in keeping his website going, and he didn't even have computers to fall back on. He just used his wits and know-how. But if this is the best you can do, I guess it's fine.

I think one of my vertibrae got turned around backwards while I was dancing with Big Mona last night. Damn. She was dancing with me is more accurate. But I made it home with more money than I went out with. I don't want to know how that happened so I think I'll spent the next couple weeks on the windward side. Know what I mean?

James Denton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Things are getting better everyday----Keep up the great work

Joe_Roofer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
But I made it home with more money than I went out with.
Ha ha, that's what it's all about brother.
I usually get it ($) with my drum kit but big Mona sounds nice...
Good job though, this site is coming along very well!

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I think everything could be a lot better. I don't see why it can't be fixed in one day. Time was, a man took pride in keeping his website going, and he didn't even have computers to fall back on. He just used his wits and know-how. But if this is the best you can do, I guess it's fine.
You've got some serious issues bud. No one is twisting your arm to stay here if you are so displeased with Jim and his timeless efforts. Considering all that has happened, I'm very surprised by the progress of the forums.

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
i love the new home and haven't had any issues yet

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i vote that you only allow premium members to post for sale ads, regardless of post count. i know this site isnt about making money, but if someone wants to purchase a premium account just to put up a for sale ad then why not?

another thing ive missed a little is having eveyones vehicle info under their names...i used that a LOT since many people forget to put it in their posts.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
I agree, and I've already said this, but I think everyone is doing a great job. It's inspiring to see so much work go into something that has become a sort of an online home for me. Thanks Jim and the team for doing what you can. Everything will be taken care of and will work itself out in time...

Post count means nothings, IMO. It shouldn't be something one prides themselves in...I can't diagnose a pinging 2.3L, but I've done smaller work. Help with what you can, and don't be concerned about how much better you are than the bloke in the post above you.

Glad TRS is back...

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
i vote that you only allow premium members to post for sale ads, regardless of post count. i know this site isnt about making money, but if someone wants to purchase a premium account just to put up a for sale ad then why not?

another thing ive missed a little is having eveyones vehicle info under their names...i used that a LOT since many people forget to put it in their posts.
I added the vehicle description features. It's in your profile. Click on my name and look at my profile. You'll see a Vehicle Description.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals