• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83 ranger idle problems

83_rangerdave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6 Soon too be 72 vette 350
Transmission
Automatic
Well just got this truck and so far like truck but engine sucks lol, The owner before me seem too replace cap and rotor and wire and plugs but at idle its very very rough you can see engine shake while idleing but as far as I can tell it dont miss while driveing just idle what could it be a weak spark? Please anyone got suggetions what too try. Allso lately its a pain the butt too keep running at idle since its got colder outside allso

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Check the timing, the distributor might have been moved by mistake. Also check the firing order and see if wires are mixed up.These engines in these trucks can do 250,000+ miles if taken care of. As of the idle make sure the choke is working correctly.

My dads has a carb on it, soon to be TBI, and it can be a pain in the colder weather but we put a manual choke on his and it made it easier.

As for my truck, I dont use a carb., I use a TBI set-up, starts right up, idles great and no choke required.

TheNicky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Agreed^

Also look for some vacum leaks...
Timing, Buy new plugs and wires and make sure there properly gapped...
and there could be some Rich/Lean goin on with the idle screws on the carb...

Just throwing more ideas out there!

Good Luck

83_rangerdave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6 Soon too be 72 vette 350
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for input

Hey thanks for yalls input also found a yellow wire at the tfi that has frayed insulation what will that make truck do?? the spout wire i believe.. I seen a tfi coil at parts store a msd would it help the poor truck?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Im not sure about msd, but the yellow wire is the spout connector, hooked to the computer and allows the timing to advance.

TheNicky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea since its not a connection anymore it wont advance your timing to where its supposed to be at... if possible crimp and shrink that back together again after making sure your timings in the correct spot...

I dont think a MSD will help you in this instance... a new coil is never a bad idea niether is a new ignition module...

Last edited:

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The MSD won't help much - if at all. I have one and it seemed to help idle a little. No mileage gains. (California computer controlled truck)
My smog guy (a smart one) says they are of very little help on emissions, so we can assume they don't help any on daily driving.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals