• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine assembly question

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
On my new block it doesn't have the small sleeves that go into the timing cover, anyone have any ideas on how to get around this. Advance doesn't have a clue, and my gasket kit didn't have them in it. All it had was two small thick gaskets to go in there. And the old ones are NOT coming out, ever...any ideas??

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I never had that problem, but; I would first call the machine shop that did the block and then any other possible sources - including the pars wanted section of this site. If not think it through; there may be a substitute.
I had the sleeves in the two engines I did; but:
The front cover is held on by bolts and is aligned by the tool that slips over the crankshaft. Based on that, I'd look very closely at the assembly and if it looks like the area is sealed, I think I might try it. The slits in the cover plate at that point concern me if the sleves are left out.

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help. I hadn't thought of the slits causing a prob but your right. I'm not sure what they are for anyway? I probably could cut a piece of thin pipe if I found the right diameter. For most people, they would have to overhauled a 2.8 to remember this little sleeve. I'm been almost to the end of the internet and found nothing...

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I dont' have the tool that goes over the crankshaft?

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not impossible to do without, but not easy. Try e-bay, if you can, for a tool kit (Most won't have the rear crank seal installer but that can be done fairly easy when the engine is out)
Before I got the tools, I used three small sockets of the same outer diameter spaced around the crank.I would be best with a helper; the goal is to center the crank in the hole.
Good luck

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
would the dampner installed be the same thing as having three sockets in there, the seal would be over the dampner? right?

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Na, that won't work. I tryed it and the cover still has play in it even with the seal/dampner on it...sockets might be next idea...I couldn't find anything on ebay or ford parts..

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Look for "Rotunda" tools and tool kits. Rotunda is the name Ford uses for tools. The cover aligner comes in a kit for the 2.8. Ebay can be a pain because you sometimes need several key words - but keep trying. Also go toi the 'store' of sellers that have a lot of items and ask - they may have one that isn't listed.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
I used the dampener and the sleeves to locate it. The motor leaked everywhere but out of the front dampener seal in the years following. Just use the dampener.

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thats kinda what I did, but I did find three sockets to help eyeball it. Its pretty close. If it leaks then I know what I'm up against. I've been messing with the front cover for three days off and on, its time to get the thing running, leaks or not...I'll keep you posted...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals