• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SKS carbine info

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so Im just waiting on my paperwork to be able to buy a gun. Im looking for somthing small enough for my gf to shoot without being blasted back in time. Shes small, like REALLY small. My cousin has an SKS and we were target shooting last weekend with it. It seams relable and simple to work with. Its also light wich is a plus considering her size and the limited space in my truck when its loaded up with gear. Im wondering about its reliability. I realize its more of a mid range gun and dont intend to use it for hunting anything larger then deer. does anyone have experience with this type of gun?

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have put close to 3000 rounds through a chinese model with only 1 misfire. It ejects and loads perfectly everytime. The misfire was likely an ammo problem.

littleme13

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
sks ak47 and ar15s are all reletivly low on kick and not to heavy. im only 5'6 and 125lbs and can shoot all 3 all day but the price difference is not so nice. sks 125 to 300 ak 400 to 600 and ar15 more like 1000+. there are other guns that shoot same rounds and thier prices vary so you really ahve to look into them.

Daniel_187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Where is the SKS from? I had a yugo and it was junk, it was hevey and i could not get high cap mags. But My buddys Russain sks was bad ass light and handy and could use 30 rd mags, Be careful taking it down to clean, there is a spring and plunger under the rear site ladder, under pressure. So IMO I have mixed Feelings, the 7.62x39 round is very good to about 100 yard

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I could hit consistently all day at 300 yards. Sounds like the gun was abused or you need more practice.

littleme13

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
sks was made in a few different places, russia, ugoslavia, and china are the biggest. there are two types of clips; the regular 30 round similar to the ak's and the "stripper" clip which is the type most have. the "stripper" clip is a pita as it only holds ten rounds and is a pita to reload making them very undesirable, the best way to know is the "stripper" clip has the cover over the bottom that doesnt remove just swings out of the way. also i hit 350+ yards open sights with both an ak and sks so i would guess the gun was sighted for 100 yards as thats what most people seem to do. ar15 are slightly more accurate and can reach out and touch someone at 500 yards if you know what your doing and are good for about 600 max.

Daniel_187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Am not saying the gun is not accurate, the 7.62x39 is ok on Mule deer out to 100-150 yards, and yes I can drill a steel plate out to 250 am not that young any more and my eyes are not what they use to be

fordrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I love my Norinko SKS. Bought it from a co-worker last year and it is one of my most fired firearms.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
get her a t-rex .557,and claim your fame on youtube haha....

I have a handfull of sks's of diffrent orgins, yugo's, both the 59 and the 66 w/ the Grenade launcher.

a chi;s, nor's and ruski's, a rom, and a alb.

All of them are rather good guns for blowing crap up. They are not a tack driver like a ar, but they are reliable as can be.

The yugo's are odd balls.so stalks and a few other parts have to be for the yugo.No big thing the aftermarket has picked up to them in recent years.compared to when they first hit the market.
the yugo is a bit more in weight then the others. since they dont have chrome lined barrles, they were built a bit more heavy.(or they expected them to get "droped" and hoped the got picked up a few times)
the 66 with the GL of couse weighs more, the 59's that dont have the GL's dont weigh enuff to tell the diffrence unless your a gun snoot.
You can also put hi cap mags on the yugo, you have to widdle the stock to open it a bit, or use a aftermarket stock.
but hi cap mags on SKS is hit and miss. 85% of them dont fit right, and you have to fiddle with them to get them to feed correctly. And then sometimes they still wont feed all rounds right before they jam.

factory mags and strippers are more reliable to me.If it was a SHTF kind of thing. hunting zombies and such. on the sks.

IF the gun is in good shape over all, firing pin and everythign else, the only thing that will cause a mis fire on these guns is cheap bulk ammo, like wolf and such.
Id say i get a avg of about 8 bad round per case of wolf.

One of my yugo sks has over 8,000 rounds threw it,and still shoots well. No tack driver,but Id trust it to 100-200 yards If i had to.

They don't really have much of a kick. less than a 12ga in general, about like a full lenth 20ga pump.So they are girl friendly. Just make sure she has it snug to her shoulder, not her boob! and she will be fine.

For the price the gun and ammo(mail order, ammoman.com) go's for,and how easy they are to strip and clean,I don't think a person can go wrong with one for a plinking gun. as long as the gun is in good shape.
these guns are stupid simple to strip and clean.

as for hunting with one. I couldnt tell you.

sort like TRS of the sks

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
sks was made in a few different places, russia, ugoslavia, and china are the biggest. there are two types of clips; the regular 30 round similar to the ak's and the "stripper" clip which is the type most have. the "stripper" clip is a pita as it only holds ten rounds and is a pita to reload making them very undesirable, the best way to know is the "stripper" clip has the cover over the bottom that doesnt remove just swings out of the way. also i hit 350+ yards open sights with both an ak and sks so i would guess the gun was sighted for 100 yards as thats what most people seem to do. ar15 are slightly more accurate and can reach out and touch someone at 500 yards if you know what your doing and are good for about 600 max.
There is one model of the chinese sks that takes the ak mags, that "drop's out" the rest of them all come with a fixed,duck bill mag. that swings out and is 10 rounds.

there are aftermarket hi cap, duck bill drop out mags also that you can get if you have a fixed mag.98% of sks's.but in myfinding 89% of them are a PNTA and have feeding problems. and dont have the bolt catch, to make fedding strippers easy. well unless you catch your thumb in the bolt when you pull the "strip" out.

Blueox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Got a chance to buy one = cheep

Not to highjack this but....

My brother-in-law found one that a guy at work wants to sell. Its a Norinko model 59 with 3 - 30 round mags for $300. Good deal? What should I look out for?

dangerranger911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
to the hijacker

Not to highjack this but....

My brother-in-law found one that a guy at work wants to sell. Its a Norinko model 59 with 3 - 30 round mags for $300. Good deal? What should I look out for?
its a ok deal take the bolt out and check the firing pin make sure it moves freely second put the 30 round mags(in the trash j/k thats my opinion) but if your gunna keep them put 30 rounds in them and HAND CYCLE THEM WITH THE SAFETY ON and see if they all feed or jam then look right inside the barrel by the bolt about where the bullet casing would end and look for pitting and missing material all of this execpt the pitting is not a deal breaker just get new stuff so just keep that stuff in mind

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals