• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

couple LBS for a couple hundred W/ parts on hand

heyhoss

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Im new to rangerland, my 5.8's killin me bu love the pay load....so i use it for that. I have a 96 ranger 2.3 da da da got it cheap put a slave and clutch kit + full major tune up... i love it, but what a doggie. If fuel wasnt 319 plus id have F250 or stanger to the floor all day.

anyways, i have had a few turbo coupes parts cars and drivers... i have lots of parts to make the new ranger a turbo... what is needed? i just want it to go a lil better. if i buy a header for the turbo and run it with no monster intercooler or even any intercooler can i have something peppy as hell and still pass emissions???

Im not lookin to make a hot rod, just to make it get out of its own way.

Any suggestions???

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
A '96 Ranger's engine management system will adapt to a low pressure turbo without any problems.

Basically, if the emgime is in good shape, "all" you have to do is just mount the turbo on an E6 manifold and plumb the air, oil and water to it. I'd leave out the boost control solenoid so that your limited to 9psi. But, you should still be a bit cautious with the go pedal. Also, I'd strongly recommend a boost and A/F ratio gauge as well.

heyhoss

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input... What is the easiest way to tap oil and a return? Turbo oil pan or will somethign else work?

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Pressurized oil to the turbo is fairly easy, either tap off of the gallery in the back of the head or put a Tee fitting on the oil pressure sender.

As for oil return, the "Turbo" oil pan won't do you any good, as there is no such thing. Turbo blocks have a port drilled and tapped for the return. Some guys have drilled into the block but, I was never fond of that solution unless you have the engine out and the pan off so you can clean out the chips. On the few non-turbo blocks that I have worked with I drilled and tapped the aluminium oil pan to accept a -AN bulkhead fitting and nut. But I wouldn't do that without having the pan off of the motor either.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals