• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Changed TFI Mod and I still have the same problem.

DumpsterGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L Durasparked, with an Offy 4 Barrel intake, Holley 390cfm, and Edelbrock headers
Transmission
Manual
So you may have seen my post about my Bronco II that wouldn't start if I took short trips and turned it off. Anyway when I would take a short trip( like five or ten minutes) my Bronco II wouldn't start for about twenty minutes whether I turned the key and let it crank over or not. During this time it would back-fire very loud. So I changed the TFI module. I found an Accel mod on Summit so I bought it. When I pulled the distributor i found one of the teeth was chipped off, so I got a distributor from a junk yard for $25 with a good gear so I changed the gear out on my old distributor and put it all back together. Now it does the same thing on short trips (not starting) except now instead of back-firing, the engine seems to bog down the starter. I guess in other words it just seems to turn over really hard.

I did not check the timing with a light. I adjusted it to where it idled well, and didn't ping while driving. I don't know if that's relevant or not.

I'm curious if this could just be a ground problem or the distributor, or timing or what. So if you have any input i would greatly appreciate it.

By the way I recently rebuilt the carb, checked the vacuum lines, installed a new battery, and installed a new TFI.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Try the proper timing procedure as posted here before - or in a manual.
I don't think timing would slow down the starter, as in adding to the load, but I'd still start with timing.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Another person had a slow cranking motor and eventually wouldnt crank said that it was bad rod bearings on his motor. I'm doubtful this is the problem because your motor runs. But ya a motor can run with bad bearings.

DumpsterGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L Durasparked, with an Offy 4 Barrel intake, Holley 390cfm, and Edelbrock headers
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for your responses. Sorry I didn't get back to you all sooner. I have been in the middle of moving.

Trying the other distributor sounds like a good idea. I wish I would have from the start.

As for it bogging down the starter, it's not an all the time kind of thing. It will turn over fine then it will kind of bog down, then it will turn over fine. It's weird it used to back fire instead. now it feels like when it used to back fire it now slows down the starter.

I do need to get a timing light on it for sure. At least at my new house I can keep it here and work on it. The old house didn't even have a driveway.

I'm wondering also what will not having a catalytic converter do to how it runs. Because it didn't have one when I got it.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I assume more back pressure.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
actually removed cat would mean less backpressure.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was saying with the cat it would give more back pressure. Sorry for the confusion.

Lifted2x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
check your timing, to advanced can make it hard to crank when hot. If you dont have a light, just try changing it when its cranking hard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals