• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Problems with a 2.3 Turbo Ranger

WyoCowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I've built a 97 ranger with a 2.3 Turbo setup from a 87 T-bird. It has the engine, wiring, T5 Tranny and 8.8 rear end all from the T-bird. I just recently changed the IHI turbo to a Garrett setup from a 86 T-bird due to a hose clamp in the intake. I just built a boost regulator for the wastegate and adjusted it to around 15psi. I've noticed that the truck seems to fall off under full throttle and I was wondering if I might be loosing fuel pressure. Is this common with a new 90LPH fuel pump? Would a 255LPH fuel pump fix this problem? Oh would a adjustable fuel pressure regulator be a good thing to add to my setup? It still has brown top injectors.

This truck is a BAJA truck. Its been lifted with 31 11.5 R15 on the front and 32 11.5 R15 on the rear with 4.10 gears. I put the lift, tires, and gears all at the same time and the truck seem to have slowed down some since the 225 60 R15s and the 3.73s. So I'm looking for more power. What is the max HP the ECC-IV LA3 computer will handle before it needs tuning? Is there a tuner or chip availble for EEC-IV computers?

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Do you have an A/F ratio meter? If not, I'd strongly suggest one.

15psi is really pushing the upper limit of a 90lph pump.

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The horsepower "cut off" for the stock computer is around 300, with only 15 psi I doubt your hitting that, a 255 lph pump is a good idea past about 13 psi... fuel pumps seem to slowly "go out" after a while, losing pressure and the A/F ratio meter is also a good idea, it will let you know if your fuel is dying off at certain rpm... you may want to look into doing a MAF conversion, 15 psi going through that vane air meter is getting a little tight... There are tuners available but having it professionally tuned and having around 20 psi is the best bet for more power...

WyoCowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
How do you convert from a Air Vane Meter system to a MAF?

D94R

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
There are plenty of people making +300HP on the stock ECU. Above that you are looking at upgraded injectors and turbo though, not ECU.

Walbro 255lph HP is always a good upgrade along with a wideband O2.

15 PSI with stock VAM is perfectly fine. Stock boost limit on premium gas under the right condition was 15PSI. Hell 20 PSI is fine, plenty of guys doing that. Could it be more efficient? sure, but converting to MAF isn't a necesity.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
How do you convert from a Air Vane Meter system to a MAF?
Though I'm not sure if anybody has come out with anything new in the past year or so, in the past all of the MAF conversions were real pieces O'feces.

15PSI was stock on '86-'88 T-birds, all Merkurs and all SVO's.

The stock T-bird fuel pumps were 110lph Walbro's.

WyoCowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I put an aftermarket boost gauge on the truck and it wastegates at 10. I had to put a boost regulator on it to make 15psi, but I live at 7000ft of elevation. (Not sure if that matters in boost) I think the pump I used is a 90LPH pump. The only thing I think is different from the stock TBIRD is I didn't wire in the Premium Switch off of the computer. Is this a bad thing? I still have the switch and all the wires (including the relay). Should I wire this back into the computer?

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Did you wire in the Boost Control Solenoid? That is how the computer gets 15psi out of an induction system with a 9psi wastegate controller.

The Premium Fuel switch allows the computer to use a more aggressive ignition advance table and allows it to up the boost pressure, via the BCS, hence my first question. You can either wire a switch to it or bypass it so that it is permanently on.

7000ft will limit your ability to make HP.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
if you need more fuel why not install another injector? i know guys on other boards that are running 30 psi on a 2.5 chrysler that the computer shuts it down at 10 psi. you fool the computer with a granger valve add fuel with a 5th or 6th injector and you are good to go. the injectors of choice are audi cold start injectors.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
If his fuel pump is having trouble keeping up now, even 4 more injectors won't help.

Though your suggestion is a valid way around a top end lean out problem, that is something that would need to be carefully tuned for. A better way is to just use 4 of Chrylser's "Super 60" injectors in place of the factory Ford ones.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
good luck finding them. i have been looking for a super 60 kit for 4 years.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Uhhh... did EVERYONE miss where he said: "I live at 7000ft"

15psi @ 7000ft elevation is damned good

it's like running 17psi anywhere else.

And why assume that the fuel pump isn't keeping up until you put a GUAGE on the pressure test port and SEE if the fuel pressure falls off when the engine seems
to "go flat"?

AD

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
good luck finding them. i have been looking for a super 60 kit for 4 years.
Kit? :icon_confused: I just went to the local Chrysler dealer with a part number and asked for 4 injectors. Though that was 5 or more years ago now.

No, Allan, we did not miss his elevation. And, as of now, it's still anybody's guess as to why his engine is falling flat. We're just tossing out suggestions.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
Kit? :icon_confused: I just went to the local Chrysler dealer with a part number and asked for 4 injectors. Though that was 5 or more years ago now.
i have a dark side. i am also into the turbo dodges. i have an 89 daytona es 2.5 t2 that i would like to find the super 60 kit for. involves upgraded turbo,injectors,intercooler,and ecm.

WyoCowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
what fuel pressure should the stock 2.3 turbo have? If I were to get a adj. Regulator what is the max pressure I should run on stock brown top injectors.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals