• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What went wrong?

Lifted2x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I am working on my 85 2.8, it wouldnt start one morning after running fine the night before. So i started checking a few things and found the connection of the tfi module was really messed up so i went ahead and durasparked it. I t tried to get it to start but it still sounded like the timing was way off, so i figured the cam gear may have failed. Pulled the motor and the gears are fine but found a bent push rod on the front four cylinders, they where just sitting next to the rocker arms, what would have caused this to happen?

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
The only thing I can think of is when a valve was opening/closing the combustion cycle occured to soon and pushed the valve up hard enough to bend the rod. Thats all that I can think of. Ive never heard of such a thing happening.

schmoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83 2.8 ranger
Make / Model
84 2.3 4x4 rang
Transmission
Manual
does the dist turn? you would think
it would have to be a broken cam
or drive gear or key.

Lifted2x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The dist was turning and it was where it should be at tdc, I have not had time to check the cam timing besides making sure the cam marks lined up. The engine looks good inside (only 120k) no metal or obviously broken parts other than the push rods. I did look and they are all push rods on intake valves on the front 4 cylinders. I did just switch it to the second gas tank that I have never used before. someone told me that bad gas could cause this but it doesn't make sense to me or anyone else.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How are the rocker arms? I have heard of them getting dry enough (poor oiling) to start seizing where they pivot and the pushrods break/bend trying to move them.

I could see them getting pummeled and maybe bending/breaking if they were set really loose too.

Lifted2x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Checked over everything and everything is ok and in good shape. Rocker arms are all free no sticking valves I dont get it. I already have started putting it back together. I even pulled the heads to make sure there was nothing damaged inside and everything was ok. At least I got around to fixing all the oil leaks and painting everything.:icon_confused:

hickboy86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I could see how bad gas could possibly cause this from hydrolock but you're more likely to bend a connecting rod. If the cylinders get bad gas in them then they don't fire properly and start collecting the moisture. If they collect enough moisture they increase compression in the engine and at some point you run out of room and try to compress the fluid instead of the air. I'm sure we all remember from school that you can compress air but not a liquid. When the cylinder comes up and tries to compress the liquid it has nowhere to go and starts FUBARin' things.

To me it sounds like you may have floated the valves??? This happens when the engine is over rev'ed and the valves leave the rocker arms.When they slam shut, if the pushrods are on the lift portion of the cam lobes, they can stop the rockers dead and bend the pushrods. Is it possible u turned her over a lil' to fast or even hit the wrong gear in a downshift? Or did you loan the truck to someone not used to driving it? Many things can bend a pushrod but thats kinda' a worst case senerio.

Lifted2x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It wouldn't be from over revving, it ran fine when it was parked and did not start the next morning. I am the only one thats been driving it and it never went near redline. i dont know what happened but i just got it all back together.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals