• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Loud noise coming from rear drums

drupe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I have a 96 Ford Ranger XL and it is making some loud noises from the rear drum brakes. Two things.....when I am almost to a complete stop they squeal like a mofo and also when I back up it sounds like a weak airhorn sound. I just had them cleaned and readjusted about two months ago. Seems like it is much more prominent when it is raining outside and they get wet. U-joints? Parking brake? Any help would be much appreciated.

Jon Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IMO:
i'd say it the parking brake. the PB (on the rangers atleast) are pretty much junk. i have never used mine in any of my trucks, everytime i have they never seem to totally release and rub about like your talking about, but not as noisey as yours seem to be though.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
It is common on RBV's. The pads expand with the moisture in the air and tend to get really touchy for the first couple stops. From then on out it usually clears up until the next moist day.

mikeyfrombc

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i just did the rear brakes on my 86 ranger and the rears howl as well , i replaced everything put the backing plates and slave cylinders , my uncle told me certain years for most domestic trucks had issues that made the brakes howl and it,s related to the materials they use for the pads and shoes , he also stated the e-brakes cause alot of noise if they are out of adjustment .

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
you could just get some higher quality pads next time around and see if it helps.

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
Sorry i meant linings/shoes

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Funny...Mine just started doing this. The only time in the past that mine have made noise is when I blew out a wheel cylinder, and both times when I blew out the axle seal this year....

If it is the axle I am probably going to drive back out to seattle and kill the *&$#er who rebuilt it. Oh...and stop by the Pike for a beer. :icon_rofl:

:icon_cheers:

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be glazed brakes. Pretty common. Just do a few hard stops with some weight in the back (or do it backwards if you don't have anything to throw back there) and see if your brakes quiet down afterward.

And make sure your parking brake is in adjustment like mikey said. With your parking brake all loose there's more room for the shoes to rattle and chatter.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals