• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CB acting up

mud390

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I picked up a used Cobra 29LTD Classic that has been peaked and tuned. The radio was used very little as it was a back up. The radio works great... most of the time. Almost every morning, when I turn the radio on and try to key the mic, no matter what channel, I get a steady buzzing/tone. Turning the radio on and off and back on doesn't help. I did notice that if I put my hand over the microphone and key the mic it changes from the buzz/tone to a high pitch squeal. It doesn't matter what channel the radio is on. The antenna had a good ground, as does the power wire for the radio. The VSWR is just over 1 to 1 across all 40 channels. Could I possibly have a bad mic? The mic is a stock, unamplified mic. HELP!

Kris

calypso93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Automatic
Run it into a dummy load and see if the squeal/noise is still there. If not, the trouble is in the coax/antenna system. If it remains, it's the radio. If you can, check the 12V supply at the radio. May have a voltage drop problem.

drifterawh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
You,ve ck. mic gain ? squelch ? Rf gain ? if your 1-1 prob good coax. Ck ground Next try a diff. mic. if a friend has one ? My coax goes bad an will cause that. Voice lock also ? Good luck its prob something simple.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals