• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing a Ranger

Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1999 Ranger 3.0 4X4 Manual trans. I want to tow this four down, I've been told I just can't put trans in neutral and tow. I'm not sure why not. The owners manual says for two wheel drive you can put it in neutral and tow it but you can't exceed 35 mph or 50 miles.
And if I haxe to pull driveshaft, how do I keep from losing all the trans fluid out the rear seal.

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is it 2 or 4 wheel drive? If u have a manual t case put that in nutural and i believe u can flat tow it. If not, just pull the d shaft off the rear and use a zip tie or something to hold it to the frame. U wont loose any fluid then, jsut make sure its held up pretty good, wouldnt want to loose it

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
You cannot flat tow a ford 4x4 unless it has a manual transfer case. The lube pump runs off the transmission and without it running and in gear it will not have any lubrication when being towed.

You have a couple choices. You can buy a neutral tow kit from ford which puts your electric t-case into neutral. You can swap in a manual t-case, or as stated you can take loose the 4 13mm bolts holding the driveshaft on the rear axle and tie it up out of the way. Even if you were to take the rear driveshaft out it will not lose any fluid because the output at the t-case is a flange not a slip joint.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
What style hubs would a 99 have? I'd pull the front driveshaft just to be safe. Back when I drove a wrecker I used to have to pull the driveshaft or axle shafts out of medium duty trucks all the time. It's the safest method.

maddhatter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't flat tow at all tow bars suck know it now or learn the hard way just find a car dolly and pull the back drive shaft and you will be a lot happier trust me.
:badidea:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That depends. I towed my B2 on a towbar from VA Beach behind a SWB '91 Ranger 4.0 and 31s. No sooned did I get it hooked up did it start raining. A flat-towed vehicle HATES to turn--it wants to go straight and it takes a bit of force to turn the gearbox from the worng end. So my first stop was on a curve and it pushed the lightweight ass end of my Ranger around--and I was just creeping along. Thank God I was only 750 miles from hope with a treacherous piece of crap. I would rather run backwards on a balance beam 20' above a dumpster filled with broken bottles, at night, with a bowling ball held in each outstretched hand--in tight shoes, than to do that again.

I still carry the tow bar in case we absolutely need to get someone home and we don't have trailer space.

And I will say I had to pull it behind my 3/4 truck and it wasn't too bad. But you can still feel it and you have to be really careful.

TowguyPLAT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK I work for a towing company so I agree that flat towing will do extreme damage to your trans a t case now if you pull the driveshaft just remove the u-joint or yoke depending on what you got now use a rope or bunge cord and tie it up to your frame now also remember that if you pull out the u joint use electrical tape to tie up the caps

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual

whats that about flat towing? :icon_cheers: (note the snow and ice on the ground)

flat towing is fine as long as you take your time while getting used to the feeling. its definitely not the same as towing a trailer. it helps if your tow rig outweighs your towed rig by a respectable amount (like an RV towing a focus).

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

whats that about flat towing? :icon_cheers: (note the snow and ice on the ground)

flat towing is fine as long as you take your time while getting used to the feeling. its definitely not the same as towing a trailer. it helps if your tow rig outweighs your towed rig by a respectable amount (like an RV towing a focus).

Funny how the gen 1 looks small there,Your rig is still lookin great Wicked, Whens your next trip back to AK. Er that pic IS here the gen 1 has Ak tags too.

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If you pull the driveshaft. do not just tie it up underneath the truck. About a month ago, a guy came into the Napa I work at and needed a driveshaft for his Ranger...because it fell off while he was flat-towing it.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Funny how the gen 1 looks small there,Your rig is still lookin great Wicked, Whens your next trip back to AK. Er that pic IS here the gen 1 has Ak tags too.
id love to make it back up there this summer...but it remains to be seen if the money will show.

thats on old picture, and its actually at my folks' house in washington. they had just moved down from Juneau and hadnt gotten WA tags for the truck yet...good eye though :icon_cheers:

hjbfreeman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
flat tow 2004 ranger 4x4 auto

So as I understand it, if you disconnect the rear driveshaft, have the selector in 2wd on the dash, you will not damage the transfer case towing behind a motorhome ??????? Is that correct???

Remco does make a rear driveshaft disconnect for these trucks, pricey as they have to make a steel driveshaft tube to weld the disconnect to. ($1300 installed)

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your '04 does not have hubs on the front wheels...so any time the front wheels are turning, the front axles and driveshaft are turning. this wouldnt be a problem if the rear drive shaft is connected...since the t-cases oil pump is driven off of the rear output.

unfortunatly for your auto transmission, its oil pump is driven by the engine....so if its spinning in nuetral without the motor running it will burn up.

the only way you could flat tow your truck without disconnecting both drivelines is if you had a manual t-case and could put it in nuetral (though, ive heard you can "trick" the electric t-cases into nuetral somehow...but i dont know how).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals