• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Big problem, need advise.

Stang_guru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Big problem, need advise. UPDATE.

First things first. 2001 Ranger XLT 4.0 4wd.

The last 2 years I've had lots of brake problems. It started at the rear with both rears seizing, causing me to have to replace both drums, cyliders, pads, and springs. $300 later and I was back in buisness.

Fast forward to recently where the front brakes started acting up. Heres whats going on. Speed must be about 10mph or so and higher, wont do it while stopped. Get moving, turn to the left, (any bit from left of center, max or minimum doesnt matter), hit the brakes and the peddle pulsates and drops about 4 inches and there is NOT much braking happening, slight slowing, but have to grab them again to get stopped well. Down right scary.

Will not do it at all if turning right or straight. ONLY LEFT.

New pads front and rear, all checked, there fine. I've ran 4 bottles of fluid through the lines and know there isnt any air in the lines. NO leaks what-so-ever, checked for a week on concrete after multiple runs checking the area I drove and parked, no leaks. NO broken or pinched lines, checked while the wheels were turned in all directions. Everthing looks a-ok. Fluid levels are fine. I keep maintenance on my vehicles very strict, and have been threatened divorce for the amount of time i spend taking care of them lol, but parts fail even under those circumstances sometimes.

It only does it while turning to the left. I'm at my wits end here lol. I'm thinking master cylider maybe. What do you guys think? Snows coming and I need brakes fast lol. Any help GREATLY appreciated guys.

Last edited:

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Disable your ABS (pull fuse) and try it.

Stang_guru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Disable your ABS (pull fuse) and try it.
Ok, i tried that and immediatly noticed the pulsating AND spongy dropping pedal problems went away. pedal stayed firm and at the top and brought the truck to a stop with no need for any extra pumping effort like before.

I pulled the #6 fuse under the hood for the ABS Pump, which in turn tripped the ABS light on the guages as expected. drove it around for a while and it seemed fine again. i then replaced the fuse to confirm and the truck stayed ok while the light was still on. after i shut it off and re-started it, the ABS light was still on but driving normal, but after about 3 minutes of driving, the ABS light went OUT and the braking problems returned to spongy dropping pedal with very little force again. immediatley pulled the #6 fuse again and the brakes returned to normal operation confirming some problem there.

so, is my ABS pump failing completly, or is it failing from another source? and where can i find a new one and the average cost?

thanks for the help, its been extremely usefull.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I would say the problem is more likely a faulty ABS control module.

AD

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My wife had an Olds that did something similar like your truck. The front end would shake violently at slow speeds. She thought that the front of her car was going to fall off. She also had very litttle brakes when this happened, they would go to the floor. It turned out to be a sensor on both calipers that was bad.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so, is my ABS pump failing completly, or is it failing from another source? and where can i find a new one and the average cost?
AllanD is probably right, but before you replace it, inspect all of your sensor wires. If you know a good mechanic it'll probably save you money to have him check it out since he can troubleshoot individual sensors before throwing a module at it.

For me on my vehicle, all brake parts are dealer items.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals