• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is this a bumper hitch?

Ilikemice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm pretty sure it is, but not having ever seen one I wasn't sure. Under the plastic bumper is a 5-6mm sheet of metal attached to the frame with four hefty bolts.

Laws here mean I can't tow a combined trailer weight exceeding 750kg. Someone said it's enough for a very small car on a trailer (Geo Metro?). Would this hitch be able to pull that?

I know ideally I need a proper hitch but I don't plan on towing a lot and it'd be nice to use a feature my car has.

Cheers for any info.

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
If you can mount a trailer ball then you have a bumper tow hitch. That looks like one of them. And yes you can tow with it but I'd be real wary about how much weight you have. You can tow a small car with it so long as you don't have to go down bumpy roads, up any real steep inclines or anything else to increase the stress on the bumper. It wasn't meant for pulling very much weight but only a little here and there and you should be safe. If you plan on towing quite a bit though you're going to need a proper hitch mounted to the frame.

Ilikemice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. It should be perfect for what I need. If I ever do a car on a trailer I'll get a proper hitch.

My friend is making a trailer out of half a small car and wants me to test tow it in my Explorer...

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is a strange looking Explorer. I didn't realize they made them for the export market. That thing is gluttony on wheels in Europe.

Ilikemice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
It's made in Brazil I think. Like the second gen Blazers they only imported 4-door top spec models for our market. The only dealer option being leather seats or not.

I'll use it for off-roading eventually and yeah. The 4.0 is a big engine but it's the auto gearbox that gets me laughed at.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
While here I have never seen either a Land Rover Discovery or
a RangeRover with a manual transmission...

Asking about a manual transmission at the dealer got a friend of mine
nothing more than a free "dumb look" and the question "why?"

AD

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
While here I have never seen either a Land Rover Discovery or
a RangeRover with a manual transmission...

Asking about a manual transmission at the dealer got a friend of mine
nothing more than a free "dumb look" and the question "why?"

AD
I've seen plenty of them... Almost bought a Disco I with a 5-speed...

Here's a link to a thread of a guy who just bought a 5-speed Disco I

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8767

Last edited:

Ilikemice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not up to date with my Land Rover models... The Range Rovers I think are auto. Discos probably have it as an option but I've only seen manuals. The Defenders only come in manual I think.

I must admit though after driving my LHD S10 I do like the auto column shifter. If I could somehow put one on my Explorer I'd be happy.

Ilikemice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I read about that. You're not missing much.

My mate drives a lifted SWB one. I drove it once and it was alright, but I wouldn't buy one.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I read about that. You're not missing much.

My mate drives a lifted SWB one. I drove it once and it was alright, but I wouldn't buy one.
I probably wouldn't have one either, I would have a Landcruiser... Sadly, we can't get any 4x4, diesel solid axle small truck here...

Ilikemice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure I'd define the Landcruiser as small! Another guy I know drives a Nissan patrol, very similar to the Landcruiser, with the Holden 3.0V6 twinturbo diesel. It's outstanding off road.

When I bought my Explorer I was half-wanting a solid front axle truck. I'll end up SFA-ing my S10 if anything and keep the Explorer for daily driving/gas guzzling.

I owned two turbodiesel trucks in the past. A 2000 Nissan Navara king cab and a 2004 Ranger double cab. Both had a 2.5 and I never had a problem with them. I kinda miss them now, and if I knew then what I know now I'd still have the Nissan!

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure I'd define the Landcruiser as small! Another guy I know drives a Nissan patrol, very similar to the Landcruiser, with the Holden 3.0V6 twinturbo diesel. It's outstanding off road.

When I bought my Explorer I was half-wanting a solid front axle truck. I'll end up SFA-ing my S10 if anything and keep the Explorer for daily driving/gas guzzling.

I owned two turbodiesel trucks in the past. A 2000 Nissan Navara king cab and a 2004 Ranger double cab. Both had a 2.5 and I never had a problem with them. I kinda miss them now, and if I knew then what I know now I'd still have the Nissan!
A TLC is smaller than a Ford F-250 (the only option for a solid axle, diesel 4x4 rig in USA)... I like the "world" Ranger, and wish we got it here, I think one of the turbo diesel engines would be really nice in my Explorer :)

Ilikemice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Time for some pics! This was my '04 Ranger

And a few more of the Explorer

I think the newest Nissan Navara D40 trucks have a 170hp 2.5 turbodiesel which would be nice to drop into something.

Surely you can get an old Hilux in the US? Or did they put petrol engines in those too?

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, the old Hilux's all got gas engines, the anemic little 22R I believe...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals