• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

33's or 35's?

Zerocide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Right now im running 31's with enough room for 35's. However my gears are only 4.10 and im concerned that they will not handle 35's well. So should i stick with the 4.10 gears and go with 33's or swap for 4.56 gears and go with 35's or just try the 35's with the 4.10 gears?

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I'm runnin 35x15.5s with 3.73s and the torsion crank and body lift. Not too bad, but a little groggy down low.

Why re-gear when one day you'll want to SAS it? hahahah

I think the 4.10s will be fine, IMO.

Nice to see another CO boy

Adam

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Your 3.0L isn't gonna like even the 33s well.

4.88s would be the gears to have with a 3.0 and 33 or 35" tires (I'd normally say 5.13 gears for 35s and that engine, except N/A for the SLA D35 IFS).

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
I'll 2nd junkie ........

the 3.0 likes to zing like a 4banger..

3.0,3.73's and really wide 35's not bad?:bsflag:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
31" is the biggest i'd run with 4.10's on the 3.0. Other than that regear for larger tires. 4.56/4.88's for the 33's or 4.88/5.13's for the 35's. Otherwise your going to be disappointed.

Zerocide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hmm, well how long does the 3.0 go for? I planned on looking into a 4.0 flex fuel when i hit 150,000.

Also i cant seem to find much on D35 gears at all, so i was trying to avoid re-gearing unless someone knows where i can get some trustworthy gears for D35. couldnt find anything on D35's on the Yukon site, one of the few company i put alot of trust into. Also while im on the topic, do Ford 7.5 u-joints work with D35's? if i remember correctly the difference is how long they are, other then that everything else is the same. Once again cant find anything for the D35, but think my front u-joint is going out.

LittleBigFoot, what engine are you running? theres a huge difference in power between the 4.0 and 3.0, i noticed this when i bought the 3.0 but couldnt afford the 4.0. Planned on swaping the 3.0 for a 4.0 one day but as for now im working with what i got untill i pay the ranger off.

Last edited:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The 3.0's power lies in very high rpm's. Like 3,000 and above. If you want to go don't be afraid to rev. It won't hurt it one bit. Helps if you have a 5spd. 3.0's last a long time if taken care of.

Zerocide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
once again i got an auto because all the manuals costed $1000 out of my price range (go figure). So i got an auto and try to run it high but the damn tranny likes to shift around 2,500 and i can only get above 3000 when on the high way. I often take my O/D off to help me get to 3000 but still the auto tranny messes me up. I currently can get her going no problem with the 31's so i doubt 33 would cause much lag, 35s however i could see becoming a problem.

As for the tranny, its starting to slip so im wondering how much work will need to be done to get a manual replacement...but it seems more reasonable to just buy a manual then to swap one in.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I'll 2nd junkie ........

the 3.0 likes to zing like a 4banger..

3.0,3.73's and really wide 35's not bad?:bsflag:
By that it means it sucks ass but I'm broke and I've learned to live in the right lane on the highway...

And I havn't re-geared yet cause it'd be a waste to throw in 5.13s before the 9" and 44 are up and running

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Also i cant seem to find much on D35 gears at all, so i was trying to avoid re-gearing unless someone knows where i can get some trustworthy gears for D35. couldnt find anything on D35's on the Yukon site, one of the few company i put alot of trust into. Also while im on the topic, do Ford 7.5 u-joints work with D35's? if i remember correctly the difference is how long they are, other then that everything else is the same. Once again cant find anything for the D35, but think my front u-joint is going out.
Yeah, that's probably because you're looking at Randy's Ring & Pinion (distributer of Yukon).
For some strange reason, they seem to have something against calling the Dana35 a "Dana35", instead they prefer to just go around confusing everybody by calling it an AMC axle, even though DANA has been the one manufacturing that axle even since before AMC merged in with Chrysler 20 years ago :no2:

Try looking under AMC "model 35" instead for the DANA model 35 (or just go look at any other site like www.reiderracing.com. It's a nice easy find there).

The front driveshaft u-joint should be a Spicer 1310-series. The rear could either be the same, or a 1330 series (wider).

Seabiscuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hmm, well how long does the 3.0 go for? I planned on looking into a 4.0 flex fuel when i hit 150,000.

LittleBigFoot, what engine are you running? theres a huge difference in power between the 4.0 and 3.0, i noticed this when i bought the 3.0 but couldnt afford the 4.0. Planned on swaping the 3.0 for a 4.0 one day but as for now im working with what i got untill i pay the ranger off.
What is a flex fuel type?

Seabiscuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
31" is the biggest i'd run with 4.10's on the 3.0. Other than that regear for larger tires. 4.56/4.88's for the 33's or 4.88/5.13's for the 35's. Otherwise your going to be disappointed.
Cool avatar. I watched that movie at my girlfriends parents house because they have a really big expensive TV. It felt kind of weird watching the movie with her parents though. During the movie they were either killing or having sex.

Zerocide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hmm so 4.88 should work me on 34's? i think 34 is the biggest ill go, i like to have some rubbing room.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals