• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is this a Sport Rider?

Moto Mel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Li
Transmission
Automatic
We have a '92 Ranger STX, 4X4, 4.0, 5 spd.,E T/Case, and manual hubs. It seems to be all original and likely a Sport Rider as it has the leather wrapped steering wheel, power windows, A.C., cruise control,cloth striped seats like those pictured,with the power lumbar and under thigh extendables, 3.73 gears with Traction Lok rear, not sure of the front diff., and it has coil spring suspension as well as front and rear sway bars. We bought this truck for a toy and so far it's been a project, new u-joints, brakes, windshield leaks, broken/rusted rear spring mounts, etc, etc... and the beat goes on. If it wasn't such a good runner we would junk/part it.
Soon to get a fresh bed, driver side door and both rear quarters for the cab.
If it is a Sport Rider we might not modify it, at present we have a Garrett Turbo, steering wheel and both seats from a T-Bird Super Coupe that we are about to install mainly because the stock seat bottoms hammer our butts when off road and they are a bit uncomfortable compared to our other vehicles, Lincoln Mark VIII, Expedition, Mountaineer, and a Monterey Van. We don't mind the rough ride, we just don't enjoy the harsh seats.
In any case does this sound like a Sport Rider truck to you guys with knowledge?

Last edited:

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The front end will be a D35, and not be a torsion setup. That era only came with the ttb. Unless of course, someone previous did some modifications. But that usually entails doing a SAS conversion......

Moto Mel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Li
Transmission
Automatic
The front end will be a D35, and not be a torsion setup. That era only came with the ttb. Unless of course, someone previous did some modifications. But that usually entails doing a SAS conversion......
Sorry about the t/bar info, my bad. I was thinking about my Expedition, the Ranger is coils front and leafs rear.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
All rangers up until 97 had coils. After 97, only 2wd's, had coils, while the 2wd's, and "Edge" models came with t-bars.

Personally, that sound like a pretty "standard"/ not out of the ordinary truck, with nothing too special other than the seats and steering wheel. Plenty of Rangers came with manual trannies, auto t-case and manual hubs. A lot came with power windows, most came with 3.73 gears, and if I'm not mistaken, a lot came with the LSD rear end as well.

I'm not to sure about the STX trucks from back then, but is it possible you are thinking of the "Highrider" package instead of "sport Rider"?? I don't even know if you could get the high rider package in '92 though.

Moto Mel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Li
Transmission
Automatic
From what I've read the High Rider was only available for a couple of years, and then the name was changed to Sport Rider and it kept the same suspension upgrades.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a base STX model to me.

The STX is basically an XLT but exterior is void of chrome.

87-89 were the years for the highrider package.

Never heard of the Sport rider package, but the STX package continued till about 97, then it was only in 2006 or 7 that it came back.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I've been into ranger stuff since the late 80's and I've never heard of a "sport rider" either.

AD

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The 89 STX had the sport rider suspension which was basically the high rider suspension. I think that was the last year for it but it may have extended into the 90 model. I am very sure it was not available in 92.

Moto Mel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Li
Transmission
Automatic
The reason I asked is that our 92 Ranger sits a little more than a inch higher than a friend's similar 4X4 Ranger. His does not have the other fancy gadgets ours has, such as; leather wrapped steeringg wheel, extendable thigh/leg supports on the seat bottoms, front and rear sway bars (the front being mounted in front of the axle assy.), power lumbar and bolster, power windows, and more.
I also read on one of the forums that the master cylinder lines are mounted on the opposite side of the m/c body and difficult to get from the regular parts stores.
I'm not trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear here, I just want to know what we have. I've had several rare and collectable cars over the years and I know this truck is not a rare piece or collectable.

Moto Mel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Li
Transmission
Automatic
These scans are from the 1989 Ranger brochure. Interestingly, they indicate that the Sport Rider package was standard with the STX 4x4 for '89, and optional on the XLT and Custom. The Sport Rider is clearly the same as the High Rider since they mention 21 unique components in both brochures.

Please excuse the poor quality of the scans. I'm working with a 10 year old (and free) scanner.

2002 Ranger XLT Super Cab 2WD 3.0

This is the information I am referencing regarding the "Sport Rider" version of the Ranger STX, and is posted in the "STX - High Rider" thread in this forum by PacoDiablo. I tried to bring the entire post here but it didn't take for some reason, only the last paragraph.
Our truck seems to have all of the items listed for an STX with a Sport Rider package, including the front mounted sway bar.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
These scans are from the 1989 Ranger brochure.
Please excuse the poor quality of the scans. I'm working with a 10 year old (and free) scanner.
????

Sorry nothing is showing up

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Let me try.

This is an 89 STX ad.

Last edited:

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
sport rider is the super cab version of the highrider. the sport rider has front and rear sway bars better shocks and suspension. its a handeling package.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals