• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dual Tank Supercab?

iamdigitalman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Saturn
Engine Size
1.9 Liter 4 Cylinder, about 100hp, though it feels like less
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys, I am considering purchasing a 1st gen ranger, and I found one in Illinois (it's a 7 hour drive 1 way, but worth it). It's a 1986 (first year for supercabs), and it has dual tanks.

How rare is this configuration? I have seen a few dual tanks on here, and even a dual tank diesel ranger on ebay a month back, but never any of these.

It's between this, and an 86 supercab that is only an hour away. It only has 1 tank, but is a couple hundred bucks cheaper.

I don't plan on ever modding one of these. Stock all the way for me.

here's the link for the one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___4X4-WORK-FARM-TRUCK-GOOD-MPG-RUNS-GOOD-NEEDS-SR_W0QQitemZ140304938442QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item140304938442&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:13|39:1|240:1318#ht_553wt_949

I would post pics of the other one, but they are pretty huge. Got the originals from the lister, which are MUCH higher quality, and I can clearly see the single tank from the 1st pic, which is an odd angle.

I also asked the seller of the one on ebay if they would relist it, and they're answer was not clear. They just told me there were 14 people watching, and 0 bids. I think they got spooked or something.

pyro4fun

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
small
Transmission
Manual
IMHO, I would probably look at the one closer to you. The one on Ebay is highly rusted out and i would guess need allot of work, not worth it just for the dual tanks.

NEEDS FRONT BRAKE LINES ETC.. FRONT BRAKE LINES ARE LEAKING NEEDS TO BE TOWED OR REPAIRED.

TRANSMISSION HAS SLIGHT LEAK THAT NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED.

THIS IS A GOOD RUNNING LITTLE TRUCK THAT GETS GOOD GAS MILEAGE AND ISNT BAD TO LOOK AT FOR ITS AGE, ( DOES NEED SOME MORE REPAIR )

:badidea:

iamdigitalman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Saturn
Engine Size
1.9 Liter 4 Cylinder, about 100hp, though it feels like less
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, I saw that, probably would need to rent a car carrier to haul it back. Sucks though, I don't ever think I will see one of those again, at least outside of the press shot on here:

Just out of curiosity, how many supercabs were there in the first gen? I have only seen a few for sale, so that either means that most people are hanging on to theirs, or most of them have died. I like the look of the first gens the best myself, though the 93-97 is a close second. I have a thing for amber colored turn signals.

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yeah, I saw that, probably would need to rent a car carrier to haul it back. Sucks though, I don't ever think I will see one of those again, at least outside of the press shot on here:

Just out of curiosity, how many supercabs were there in the first gen? I have only seen a few for sale, so that either means that most people are hanging on to theirs, or most of them have died. I like the look of the first gens the best myself, though the 93-97 is a close second. I have a thing for amber colored turn signals.
I don't know the numbers, but 1'st gen supercabs are all over the place in my neck of the woods (I have three), but not too many are advertised for sale.

I've only ever seen one gen1 supercab (it was an '88) with dual tanks, and only a handful of longbox's with dual's. My '87 reg.cab l/box has that option, and i've been looking for a "straight" box for over a year now........

np205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Used to have one, first ranger.

Kav

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I have one with the 2.9L. I could go about 600 miles on a fill up. I'd like take that spare tank out of my old Ranger an graft it into my 03 Ranger.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
IMHO, I would probably look at the one closer to you. The one on Ebay is highly rusted out and i would guess need allot of work, not worth it just for the dual tanks.

NEEDS FRONT BRAKE LINES ETC.. FRONT BRAKE LINES ARE LEAKING NEEDS TO BE TOWED OR REPAIRED.

TRANSMISSION HAS SLIGHT LEAK THAT NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED.

THIS IS A GOOD RUNNING LITTLE TRUCK THAT GETS GOOD GAS MILEAGE AND ISNT BAD TO LOOK AT FOR ITS AGE, ( DOES NEED SOME MORE REPAIR )

:badidea:
X2

I had two 87 SuperCabs both 2.9, but only one had dual tanks.....my first was two wheel drive and dual tanks....the second (running parts truck) was single tank and 4x4. Put my body (and tanks, wiring, switch and all) onto the 4x4 chassis and trashed the parts truck after selling some parts and saving the entire front clip for spares.

I like the first and second generation Rangers the best for their styling, more upright windshield and more interior headroom.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals